Scales - grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmi9191

Reaction score
Ive got the little tiny scales for weighing out the salts for water treatment. Ive got the slightly bigger kitchen scales for weighing out the hops. Now looking for a good set of scales for weighing out grain

Looking for something that will easily weigh in kg, but accurate in grams. Any recommendations?

I've got a set of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-35kg-Digital-Electronic-Computing-Kitchen-Weight-Scale-White-/171216503856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27dd4c8430

If you shop around, sometimes you can get them for around $50 posted.
They can weigh up to 35kg, but at 1g increments. They are excellent as you throw the Handi-pal on it and tare it. Then you can add the grain directly into the bucket. No need to weigh out small amounts.

Also handy for when you fly, you can weigh your luggage to ensure you can get the most out of the 23kg.

I've got a very similar scales to that of kev's, only paid $40 from memory, will try to dig it up from my eBay history

QldKev said:
I've got a set of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-35kg-Digital-Electronic-Computing-Kitchen-Weight-Scale-White-/171216503856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27dd4c8430

If you shop around, sometimes you can get them for around $50 posted.
They can weigh up to 35kg, but at 1g increments. They are excellent as you throw the Handi-pal on it and tare it. Then you can add the grain directly into the bucket. No need to weigh out small amounts.

Also handy for when you fly, you can weigh your luggage to ensure you can get the most out of the 23kg.
+!.. Great scales.. I also have a small set for weighing hops

Main disadvantage is the size of the plat, can't easily chuck ya bucketing them and read them. The bigger 40kg ones are great for this reason alone.

The ones you linked would be ok for Hops in the brewery though

DU99 said:
Only accurate to 100g though mate. Personally, I like a bit mote control than that.. Not that it matters, it's close enough but you know, my OCD has needs

ed: the ones I have I cant seem to find but were just a shade under $50 delivered

Yob said:
I've got a very similar scales to that of kev's, only paid $40 from memory, will try to dig it up from my eBay history
Could be the same time I got mine, it was $36 delivered. Funny thing is 2.5 years later I still have not needed to recharge the battery in it yet.

QldKev said:
Could be the same time I got mine, it was $36 delivered. Funny thing is 2.5 years later I still have not needed to recharge the battery in it yet.
You need to brew more lol.. I have charged it 1 time in a year

I regret getting a (up to) 10kg scale as I'd like to weigh my no-chill cubes to help understand how much gets into the cube from the kettle (distorted cube shape makes measurements impossible). Would need to factor in the OG to get an accurate volume of course.

Also to help understand how much grain I have left in my 25kg bags after a few brews...

Been using a set of bagagge scales twith a hook, that cost 5 bux a few years ago. I thought they would do me till I upgrade, but I like them now.

Cheers Lex I was about to grab those exact scales on eBay for 65. I've just dealt with smaller scales until now, this will make life easier! I'll now have to build a weigh/milling bench

I've had a set of the ones QLD Kev details in post #2 for a couple of years now. For a lot less than the link now shows them at.... around $50, I think.

I'm extremely happy with them.

Came supplied with a mains power lead which charges the in-built battery. The charge lasts for a hell of a long time.

I usually brew once a month and the rest of the time they're sat on the shelf. Batteries tend to drain even when not in use, but this one seems to hold charge brilliantly.

I think I've only connected the mains once since getting them, when it started reading 'ERR' or something, which indicated low battery.

Lex's one could be even better ! But, I would guess the battery/charging arrangement will be the same, GAP.

WIN_20150530_130811.JPG

I've had one of these for about seven years now, bought from Target for around $35. It only goes to 5 kg but you can tare it off with a bucket sitting direct on the flat top for base malt, use the supplied bowl for spec grains and it's accurate to a gram for hops (tare off a small SS bowl).

It's great as an all purpose kitchen scale as well. The only scale I ever need. I've only needed to change the battery once since 2011.

kitchen scales.jpg

Latest posts

Back