Scales - grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gap said:
Hello Lex,

Does the scales come complete with the rechargeable battery or do you have to buy it separately?
I have these. Comes with battery inbuilt. Ready to go straight out of the box.. I recommend to anyone

For the precision of 1/3000 FS (full scale), am I correct in thinking that for a 40,000 gram scale that the accuracy is to +-13.33grams? So suitable for grain, but not suitable for hops?

I think you're right, which makes the 1g increment a bit pointless. I'm only planning on using them for grain, hops will still get weighed on the kitchen scales. Still it beats weighing grain out a kilo at a time and trying to remember how many kilos you've already weighed when you've got the kids running around screaming at you. Weighing the entire grain bill in one go is going to be a revolution.

I bought a tare-able scale from Kmart that you can sit a pail on and still read the numbers (1g increments) for only $15 plus $0 postage

Bought this set of scales from ebay a few years ago for $40 delivered.

Only needed to be charged once in that time and it gets used every few days for weighing green coffee beans as well as grain and whatever else needs weighing whilst in the shed. Accuracy of 1g with a capacity of 35kg.

EDIT - I also have a set of scales for hops/brewing salts/brewbrite/yeast nutrient that I got off ebay for $2 delivered from HK. Capacity is only 200g but has an accuracy of 0.01g.

2012-07-19203454.jpg

Those Realsmart scales are back up to $50ish now :(

Also remember that while scales may indicate that they are 1g accurate, the strain gauges in the load cell have a calibration curve, and the cheap ones are generally most accurate through the middle of their range.
The Soehnle kitchen scales that we have at home are terrible <50g but great from 100g upwards. So when baking you add the yeast and salt last to maximise their accuracy.

Hence for hops measurement i have a little 500g 0.1g pocket druggies scale.

Got me the real smart ones, most of the eBay sellers are selling this model or a copy of it and about $5-15 more expensive. +-13grams accuracy is very good for grain weighing and it appears to have the adjustable feet and spirit level that the more expensive Euro Chef type has! Spewing I didn't buy when they were $35!!!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Got me the real smart ones, most of the eBay sellers are selling this model or a copy of it and about $5-15 more expensive. +-13grams accuracy is very good for grain weighing and it appears to have the adjustable feet and spirit level that the more expensive Euro Chef type has! Spewing I didn't buy when they were $35!!!
Which one is the copy and which one is the original? :p

But seriously, im spewing that i didnt grab one at $35 too. Only ordered mine yesterday.

Haha reminds me of a Nine Inch Nails song (Copy of a)

Quick, go grab one now if you havent. Back to $36.

Kind of makes being sick and not replyign to the request for confirmation a little bit better :)

Ive got the same scales as smurto and half the other guys on here... Paid about $40 delivered and had them for over 7 years now.
I think $ per use its one of those set and forget things that will last you and worth the buy. There isnt much chinese gear out there that is cheap and last you years of use.

Back