Sauerkraut Mk1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Andrew pulled out a Kimchi today 2 more kimchi in ferment fridge to come out end of the week

Hope the lab doesnt get into my next beer ferments will be spraying with sanitiser everywhere ?

Anyone in the Kraut club lately? Got a new, small HDPE bucket here ready for some 'kraut, recon it should run an airlock? I'd rather go that way and lock the lid down tight - homebrewers gotta homebrew. Work OK you recon blokes?

Made my first lot the other day. Used 1/2 purple cabbage, looks and tastes great.

I'd say no to the airlock, beer doesn't need it why would kraut?

Yep, I agree, no airlock needed. Cling film at best, but even that's a stretch.
Recommend red/ purple cabbage and julienne or grated beetroot with some toasted spices, in particular cumin, throw in a chilli or two perhaps but whatever floats your boat.

Cling film probably wouldn't hurt. I used a freezer bag of water on top to keep the cabbage submerged.

I too have been inspired by this forum. Put down two batches a few days ago, cant wait to try it. Ill let you know how it tastes after 7-10 days.

Got mine in fermenting fridge @ 19c

IMG_4309_zpsrcfkzboo.jpg

I've done 3 weeks at 21c comes out great

Hope that lactobacillus does'nt get into you're beer :huh:

No reason why it should though just a thought

I've been making sauerkraut for years - owing to my Barossa Valley background. I also make kimchi too - the missus' is korean and we make it based on her mum's recipe. I'll dig that up sometime and post it here. Interestingly I've noticed that the kimchi can often be a bit soft or watery depending on the season and quality of the cabbage. Sauerkraut never really has that problem.

My recipe for sauerkraut is pretty simple. Finely shredded cabbage (green works best) with two tablespoons of salt per kg. Also add a handful of caraway seeds (will help with the farts from the cabbage when you eat it). Mix well and press with weight in a container. Ambient winter temps are fine. Loosely cover with a cloth if you want. It will smell like farts after a while but taste great.

Is the lactobacillus in sauerkraut the same, or similar strain added to lambics or sours? Would scooping a pile of kraut into the wort ferment out a to a funky beer?
Anybody tried it?

(By anybody I mean Tim T of course)

Interesting reading on the old Lactobacillus..

The following is stolen from wikipeadia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus

Food production[edit]
Some Lactobacillus species are used as starter cultures in industry for controlled fermentation in the production of yogurt, cheese, sauerkraut, pickles, beer, cider, kimchi, cocoa, kefir, and other fermented foods, as well asanimal feeds. The antibacterial and anti fungal activity of "Lactobacillus" rely on production of bacteriocins and low-molecular weight compounds that inhibits these microorganisms.[12]
Sourdough bread is made either spontaneously, by taking advantage of the bacteria naturally present in the air, or by using a "starter culture," which is a symbiotic culture of yeast and lactic acid bacteria growing in a waterand flour medium. The bacteria metabolize sugars into lactic acid, which lowers the pH of their environment, creating a signature "sourness" associated with yogurt, sauerkraut, etc.
In many traditional pickling processes, vegetables are submerged in brine, and salt-tolerant lactobacillus species feed on natural sugars found in the vegetables. The resulting mix of salt and lactic acid is a hostile environment for other microbes, such as fungi, and the vegetables are thus preserved—remaining edible for long periods.
Lactobacilli, especially L. casei and L. brevis, are some of the most common beer spoilage organisms. They are however essential to the production of sour beers such as Belgian Lambics and American Wild Ales, giving the beer a distinct tart flavor.

Food Preservations
[edit]
L. brevis is found in food such as sauerkraut and pickles. It is also one of the most common causes of beer spoilage. The hop, which is an antimicrobial bitter flavoring agent in beer, fails to suppress some strains of L. brevis because they produce a transporter that pumps the active agents of hops out of the bacterial cell.[6][7] L. brevis is one of the major Lactobacillus species found in tibicos grains (aka water kefir grains), and has been identified as the species responsible for the production of the polysaccharide (dextran) that forms the grains. Major metabolites of L. brevis include lactic acid and ethanol. Strains of L. brevis and L. hilgardii have been found to produce thebiogenic amines tyramine, which is found by the fermentation metabolic pathway and is commonly found in spoiled or fermented foods and phenylethylamine, which is found in chocolates but can also produce a fishy odor in other foods.

Lactobacillus casei is a species of genus Lactobacillus found in the human intestine and mouth. This particular species of Lactobacillus is documented to have a wide pH and temperature range, and complements the growth of L. acidophilus, a producer of the enzyme amylase (a carbohydrate-digesting enzyme).

Uses[edit] Dairy[edit]
The most common application of L. casei is industrial, specifically for dairy production.
L. casei is typically the dominant species of nonstarter lactic acid bacteria (i.e. contaminant bacteria[1]) present in ripening cheddar cheese, and, recently, the complete genome sequence of L. casei ATCC 334 has become available. L. casei is also the dominant species in naturally fermented Sicilian green olives.[2]

IMG_1714951.JPGPassion pink cabbage, garlic, beetroot & caraway seeds

Back