Sauerkraut Mk1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1.0

Reaction score
This is my Missus first attempt at Sauerkraut. We'll see how it goes, might be spoiled due to a lack of hygiene I suspect, but it is cool to hear it hissing and farting away in the kitchen. It needs a bowl under it because the bubbles that are stuck between the cabbage are displacing the fluid.

uploadfromtaptalk1395563437348.jpg

Heh - with sauerkraut you encourage the lack of hygiene*. It should be cool so long as the cabbage is all under the water.

We had a new sauerkraut started last night, full to the brim with water. In the morning I stumbled out of bed into the kitchen and discovered it had kinda sorta done the same thing - water all over the bench.

*Disclaimer: I am, it seems, fast getting the reputation around here of the weirdo who says and does things no-one else would really recommend.

Thanks TimT she'll be very glad to hear that about the hygiene, suits her way of doing things (jumping in and learning through doing vs. researching everything first - my preferred way).

+1 for hygiene not being a big deal in the same way as it is for brewing. Well, sanitisation, it's always nice to be hygienic. The cabbage (or other vegetables) has enough lactobacillus to ensure they'll establish a dominant colony.
I'm very deep into a kraut rabbit hole at the moment, welcome and enjoy!

I had a go at some kraut myself on the weekend. Some red and white kraut, the red is spiced with caraway seeds. See how we go.......mine is also leaking all over the place, the jars are now sitting in a tray to try and contain the fluid (especially the red).IMG_1042.JPG

Well after 3 weeks of fermenting at room temp, my kraut is good to go. Very tangy, nice and clean like a lacto-sour beer. Very tasty with some brats and sweet German mustard. Well worth the effort.

TimT said:
Heh - with sauerkraut you encourage the lack of hygiene*. It should be cool so long as the cabbage is all under the water.

We had a new sauerkraut started last night, full to the brim with water. In the morning I stumbled out of bed into the kitchen and discovered it had kinda sorta done the same thing - water all over the bench.

*Disclaimer: I am, it seems, fast getting the reputation around here of the weirdo who says and does things no-one else would really recommend.
Not sure how long that disclaimer has been up but I've read a lot of your posts and you are a complete wierdo with all your fancy ingredients and what not. It's like a whole other language. But don't stop what you're doing, there is the odd diamond in amongst the rough.

Hey mate. Care to share a link to the method or putting what you did on here, sourkrout is one of those things I've always wanted to do, but never did...

I've been krauting anything that will sit still lately. Did a few batches of cabbage that were quite tasty. Did some kimchi with the same bacteria. Exceedingly tasty. Then I tried some jalapeno kraut. That was so hot it made my anus cry. Did some radish kraut too. That smells a bit like farts. Think I'll try some beetroot next.

Horses, I do a beetroot one which is pretty great, the brine is all syrupy and totally delicious. I add garlic to it, which is nice, but very strong. Some recipes advocate grating the beetroot, but I prefer thin slices. Also, I throw some beetroot skin into the mix if I don't have any brine to add to help it along.

I was thinking of using my fermented tabasco sauce as a start for some kraut. I little bit of chilli should go nicely in it

+1 for inspiration, Aaron. I now have 2 jars coming along with some carrot and onion in the mix. Just salt, don't like the caraway. Took me 10 minutes to prepare, looking forward to a nice beer snack.

edit: about the hygiene, I was fixing up some roof flashing seams with sika gutter sealant and got it all over my hands...should be all right, I hope.

Update: Of course, TimT was right, that first batch was fine and cleanliness was no issue. Since then we have made several batches - this is really good food and so easy.

It's really easy to make kraut. Easier than beer. This is how I did it:

Take a cabbage. Or 2. Or 6. You'll progress to 6 when you realise how tasty it is.
Slice thinly, say 1/2 to 1 cm slices.
Sprinkle the sliced cabbage with salt, about 1, maybe 2 tablespoons per cabbage should do.
Massage the salt into the cabbage then find a bowl or a bucket or something and chuck it in.
Put a plate or something on top and weigh it down with a water bottle or something else kinda heavy.
Cover the whole shooting match with a tea towel and let it sit for at least a week but maybe more depending on the level of funk you like.
I like to take mine all the way to the level of Parliament. Strongly suggest you google that band whilst fermenting your kraut.
The salt will draw the moisture out of the cabbage as well as helping to prevent unwanted mould growth.
After a few hours or overnight there should be enough liquid to cover the cabbage completely.
The natural lactobacillus on the cabbage will start to work pretty quickly.
It likes a nice warm room during fermentation then once it's done, into jars and into the fridge.

awesome! That sounds easy as, thanks!! Will get the missus to buy a couple of heads when she's at the shops :)
Is the technique the same for the other types of krauting?

I believe so but it would depend on the type and amount of lactobacillus present on the vegetable in question.
I've also used bacteria from a previous batch to start other batches but if you do that then The Baron (TimT's wife) will beat you with a phonebook...

Not For Horses said:
It's really easy to make kraut. Easier than beer. This is how I did it:

Take a cabbage. Or 2. Or 6. You'll progress to 6 when you realise how tasty it is.
Or 8... I kind of got carried away. But for a grand total of $23.85 I got 8 cabbages or 25 assorted size jars of kraut. The 20L bucket was about 4/5ths full.

....note to self: get large jars the same size with a good opening.

The theory behind avoiding starters is that because you introduce the dominant culture right away, you don't allow a more diverse, possibly nuanced ferment. I'm not opposed to using some brine, but it is awesome how unnecessary it is. Also, according to Sandor Katz, almost all veggies have enough bacteria to ferment. He DOES suggest using a starter if you decide not to use salt (or use very little salt).

Latest posts

Back