Sanitizer Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use...

• Napi-San

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bleach

• Iodophor

• Phos-Acid ( No-Rinse One shot )

• Sodium Met

• Peroxide ( including Silver ions )

• Boiled water

• Sanitizing is for girls

• Total voters
Starsan (Phos acid based) for all sanitising. Used to use one-shot before that.

I use napisan for most cleaning, though caustic occasionally and bleach for soaking bottles (it's cheaper than napisan).

How is boiled water a sanitiser? :huh: Boiling water I can understand, but boiled water?

Have tried bleach and sodium met.

My research has told me sodium met is not a good sanitizer at all. Bleach was hard to use and rinse. I had infections some infections with both.

Im now using Iodophor and have had no infections

no starsan option? a lot of people seem to use it here

I use Star San FWIW.

BTW, its Iodophor - it comes from Iodine.

Nothing personal, Ducatiboy Stu, just the spelling straw that broke the camel's back.

Berp.

I use Star San FWIW.

BTW, its Iodophor - it comes from Iodine.

Nothing personal, Ducatiboy Stu, just the spelling straw that broke the camel's back.

Berp.

Yep, you are right it is supposed to be IODOPHOR

My mistake, but I cant seem to edit the poll

I voted bleach because i use it to sanatise my dirty firmenters after primary but i use iodophur before i use anything, napisan in my kegs and boiling water in my bottles so i use 4 of them all up.

I found the pack of sodium met i got with my first home brew kit i bought at the hardware shop years ago and chucked it out, un opened :)

Is that what you were asking Stu? what we use for REALLY sanatising?

Should i vote for all 4?

cheers

lol need ctrl click for multiple options.

no-name napisan is a good cleanser as well just try it on some old baking dish etc.

the peroxide imho is a good band aid for peace of mind.

^_^

lol need ctrl click for multiple options.

X2

Use Bleach, then iodophor, then boiling water to rinse...

May be overkill, but I figure you can't have your fermenter too clean. :D

I use idophor and uniphor which is basically the same this as idophor but sold generally to the dairy industry. I was able to get a 20ltr cube delivered to my door for about $80.

I use a combination.

Bleach. phos acid and the sexy new herlilsil.

cheers
johnno

I wash with hot water and pink-neo if needed, and then rinse and spray with "brewshield" (H2O2 and silver ions).

love the spray no rinse sanitser :D

Maybe I've been shielded in my brewing ttime, but can someone tell me where they get their Starsan from. Never used it, but interested. Am also about to embark down the Iodophor road for the first time shortly, i like the sound of it.

Maybe I've been shielded in my brewing ttime, but can someone tell me where they get their Starsan from. Never used it, but interested. Am also about to embark down the Iodophor road for the first time shortly, i like the sound of it.

Don't need both :) Starsan can be bought from craftbrewer, Iodophor from most HBSs. Both of them are very popular in the states - whereas most people seem to use BrewShield or Sanitise (peroxide based) in australia. Starsan and Iodophor are a lot cheaper. But the peroxide ones are still not expensive at all, paying maybe an extra 50c per brewday instead of 5c or something if you were using one of the others...

Napi-San for cleaning and Peroxide for sanitising :)

I use idophor and uniphor which is basically the same this as idophor but sold generally to the dairy industry. I was able to get a 20ltr cube delivered to my door for about $80.

Hey, nice one devo. I'm long weary at shelling out $6.00 for 250ml of iodophor. Granted, I don't go through all that much.. maybe 1/2 dozen bottles a year?!

What's the shelf life of undiluted uniphor?

I'm a no-rinse iodophor user for the sake of the poll.

reVox

Latest posts

Back