Sanitizer Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use...

• Napi-San

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bleach

• Iodophor

• Phos-Acid ( No-Rinse One shot )

• Sodium Met

• Peroxide ( including Silver ions )

• Boiled water

• Sanitizing is for girls

• Total voters
I use Pink powder to clean and soak all my equipment as well as bottles and kegs.

I then spray everything with Iodophor to sanitize.

touch wood this has worked for me with no infections :)

Cheers
BS

pink powder is a chlorinated cleaning agent. Have you had any problem with your stainless steel kegs?

I voted the girl option only cause I use a number of the selected answers, depending on time, sloth and convenience.

I used it on a couple of batches of particularly dirty bottles and they didn't come out sparkling like they do with bleach

Also napisan strips out the fats / oils out of your hands and make everything you touch feel funny - it weirds me out

However if i ran out of bleach I'd be quite happy to use napisan - guess i'm just used to bleach and that nice stinging sensation it gives to nicks and cuts on your hands - makes you feel alive!

Cheers

What didn't you like about it? :huh:

I use napisan to clean bottles and find it works out just fine. Must get round to using bleach for a change just to keep the bugs on their toes.

I used it on a couple of batches of particularly dirty bottles and they didn't come out sparkling like they do with bleach

Also napisan strips out the fats / oils out of your hands and make everything you touch feel funny - it weirds me out

However if i ran out of bleach I'd be quite happy to use napisan - guess i'm just used to bleach and that nice stinging sensation it gives to nicks and cuts on your hands - makes you feel alive!

Cheers

Don't forget the joy you get when you find out the bleach you used got onto your favourite shirt and made it looks like a camaflague jacket.

(Why doesn't this thing have a spellcheck - camaflague ???)

Iodophor (Idyne), Peroxide (Herlisil) and occasionally bleach. Napisan to clean. When I had an infection in the brewery I couldn't eliminate - hot NaOH, bleach, H2O2 and iodophor ALL used one after the other...

i use iodophor mainly, bleach sometimes to swap about.

where can i get some Star San ?
checked Ross but couldn't see it anywhere.

cheers
yard

Don't forget the joy you get when you find out the bleach you used got onto your favourite shirt and made it looks like a camaflague jacket.

(Why doesn't this thing have a spellcheck - camaflague ???)
[OT] Camouflage [/OT]

Iodophor ever since I was turned off Sodium Met by information found on AHB - Thank you all!! (And it reacted badly with my skin too)

Cheers,

microbe

Started with sod met. Should have stopped right away when I got a blood nose from it... :blink:

Persisted for a while then changed to bleach. My only infection occurred when using it, maybe not the right concentrate.

I now use sod percarbonate (homebrand nappy soak). It works well as a cleaner and a sanitiser.

I also have a spray bottle with peroxide for spot sanitising.

WJ

Hey, nice one devo. I'm long weary at shelling out $6.00 for 250ml of iodophor. Granted, I don't go through all that much.. maybe 1/2 dozen bottles a year?!

1.5L a year? Wow, I've had a 1L bottle for about 6 months and havent even made a noticable dent in the top of it, and I brew nearly every weekend and I thought I was extremely liberal with my sanitising!

Bleach to start with.

When I was in full flight, just water to clean, then a little bit of bleach to sanitise.

Have used sodium met and I'm not convinced. Also, thanks to info on AHB, I won't be using it again.
I used it on my first two brews this year (the first brews in about two years).

My next three have been bleached and now I'm sick of the "camaflague" :p on everything.

Going to clean with water next and try Iodophor.
Bleaching is a massive waste of water imho, so I want to try something less toxic.

1.5L a year? Wow, I've had a 1L bottle for about 6 months and havent even made a noticable dent in the top of it, and I brew nearly every weekend and I thought I was extremely liberal with my sanitising!

I'd be lucky to use 1 bottle per year (maybe I need to brew more)

Just found this topic, ive only ever used Sodium Met but have been reading that apparantly this is not a good product? Ive been thinking that I should be rinsing it off after use as my last batch had a wierd taste, the guy at Brewcraft told me to just let it dry off, but as we all know bottles dont just dry off completely...

What I was wondering was, whats this Iodophor stuff? How is it used? Do you need to rinse? And where do you get it?

Cheers

Iodophor is an iodine/phosphoric acid solution. Its a no rinse sanitiser, so its good for bottling. Where do you live? Many home brew shops stock it.

I use different sanitisers for different things

Bleach
- fermenter before and after use
- cubes only after use (i keep a bleach solution in the cubes while not in use)
- other incidentals eg racking hose etc

Napisan
- kegs after use
- beer taps / lines

Iodophor
- cubes before use
- kegs before filling
- i also keg a spray bottle of diluted iodophor next to my fermenting + keg fridge in the event that anything needs a quick spray

+1

For everything
Napisan to CLEAN
Bleach to SANITIZE over 24 hrs in preparation for brewing
Iodophor to SANITISE prior to use

1, 2, 3, 5, 7.

Different applications, different times.

Sod met is great for inhibiting bacterial growth, eg in a clean fermenter you're not going to use for a while.

As a 'sanitiser' it is next to worthless.

+1

For everything
Napisan to CLEAN
Bleach to SANITIZE over 24 hrs in preparation for brewing
Iodophor to SANITISE prior to use

That's about my normal procedure. With boiling water thrown in for good measure from time to time.

Latest posts

Back