Sanitizer Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use...

• Napi-San

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bleach

• Iodophor

• Phos-Acid ( No-Rinse One shot )

• Sodium Met

• Peroxide ( including Silver ions )

• Boiled water

• Sanitizing is for girls

• Total voters
Don't need both :) Starsan can be bought from craftbrewer, Iodophor from most HBSs. Both of them are very popular in the states - whereas most people seem to use BrewShield or Sanitise (peroxide based) in australia. Starsan and Iodophor are a lot cheaper. But the peroxide ones are still not expensive at all, paying maybe an extra 50c per brewday instead of 5c or something if you were using one of the others...

Cheers Sammus. I was sort of planning on giving the Starsan a run to see how I like it. The only thing I'm worried about with the Iodophor is the staining of plastic fermenters. I have read that if you mix it to exactly the right ratios it shouldn't stain, but I guess sometimes I just tend to bung some in in the heat of the moment and tend to be a bit OTT with it, so eventually I'm going to end up with a collection of light brown fermenters.

I currently use SO2, it's not that cheap I guess and the smell nearly makes me upchuck everytime. Just looking for an alternative.

I voted Phos acid because I use starsan mainly..

But, every few brews I will swap to Iodophor just to keep the bugs from getting used to things .... and about every 10 brews I will swap to an acidified bleach solution. 30ml bleach and 30ml white vinegar to 20L water... use it as no rinse.

For bottles - mostly I bake em in the oven with a tinfoil cap.

Hey, nice one devo. I'm long weary at shelling out $6.00 for 250ml of iodophor. Granted, I don't go through all that much.. maybe 1/2 dozen bottles a year?!

What's the shelf life of undiluted uniphor?

I'm a no-rinse iodophor user for the sake of the poll.

reVox

From what I've read it's the same deal as with idophor and viable for years so long as it's not exposed to sunlight, UV etc.

devo

i add approx 2 litres of starsan solution to the fermenter night before brew day & give it a good shake - fills the fermenter with sterilising foam. On brew day i use Hysan, which is hydrogen peroxide sanitiser.

cheers Ross

I'll choose boiling water over boiled water, much more effective. Other than that I just use whatever I have at the time.

No name 'napisan' to clean the gear then Terminator(orthophos acid) to sanitise it all

I use boiling water, then napisan, then boiling water, then bleach, then boiling water, and allow to dry, then Iodophor right before use.

I use a combination.

Bleach. phos acid and the sexy new herlilsil.

cheers
johnno

Same here and mix the use to keep on top of the bugs.

BTW: I have already shared and gone thru half of the herlilsil.

Where is the Pink Button?

The good old Neo Pink / PSR or what ever you call Chloro-Ammonium-Phosphate is still one of the best selling cleaner/sanitisers on the market.

MHB

From what I've read it's the same deal as with idophor and viable for years so long as it's not exposed to sunlight, UV etc.

devo

That word again: Iodophor. There is no element called Idine. (yes, I am going on a crusade)

To contribute something positive to this topic: I found that rarely with Star San I can get an acetobacter infection, because its more resistant to acidic environments, so sometimes Star San is not enough. In which case, I'll give everything a soak in bleach and then Star San.

I use iodophor for filling airlocks (when I use them), and sanitising bungs.

Berp.

Started on Sodium Metabisulphite

Went to bleach

Tried Hydrogen Peroxide - got a few infections - first time ever (well bad enough to notice)

Went back to low concentration bleach & vinegar - having head retention problems, so

Now Iodophor - too early too say whether good or not

I started with sodium metabisulphite, used morgans product for awhile, but have eventually settled on star san. No infections so far.

I use different sanitisers for different things

Bleach
- fermenter before and after use
- cubes only after use (i keep a bleach solution in the cubes while not in use)
- other incidentals eg racking hose etc

Napisan
- kegs after use
- beer taps / lines

Iodophor
- cubes before use
- kegs before filling
- i also keg a spray bottle of diluted iodophor next to my fermenting + keg fridge in the event that anything needs a quick spray

I personally didn't like the job that napisan did when i used to bottle - i preferred bleach

I've not had any infections or any of the sanitisers impart any flavour into my beer - so I am quite happy with my sanitisation routine

I reckon as long as everything is given a good clean after use and then a quick going over before its next use then everything should be sweet!

Cheers

I use peroxiacetic acid / hydrogen proxide sanitiser: It is no-rinse, odourless and tasteless, and breaks down straight away when it contacts work. It works best cold and the made up solution lasts for weeks in a bucket.

It comes as several brand names: Oxonia activ, proxitane, vortexx... I know many commercial breweries use Oxonia, and that Vortexx is the product used by certified organic producers, as it breaks down immediately into harmless naturally ocurring compounds: water, oxygen and acetic acid.

MFS

I personally didn't like the job that napisan did when i used to bottle - i preferred bleach

What didn't you like about it? :huh:

I use napisan to clean bottles and find it works out just fine. Must get round to using bleach for a change just to keep the bugs on their toes.

Napi-San for cleaning and Peroxide for sanitising.

Sanitizing is for girls....... Come ON!

I use PINK neo, so pretty!

Works well no infections!

Latest posts

Back