Sanitising Aeration Stone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I just discovered an unfortunate reality of aeration stones - they clog when sanitised water enters the stone from air hoses that connect to it. I sanitised my air hoses by soaking them in Star San and water. Then I drained them as best I could, hooked them up to the air stone and turned on the pump. The left over fluid that was in the hoses ran into the stone and through the filter as my aquarium pump pushed air through the hoses and filter.

The airstone was at maybe 10-15% of its usual bubbly self immediately after and I assume this was because the water coming through the hoses clogged it. Assuming that's the case, I'm keen to know how everyone else that aerates with an aquarium pump and airstone sanitises their hoses and stone before aerating. Is this a case of trusting the air filter stops any airborne bacteria before the filter and any bacteria in the hose after the filter is caught by sanitising the airstone? In other words is it better NOT to sanitise and thus wet the air hoses?

When I sanitise my airstone Ross from Craftbrewer recommended that I run it while it is submerged in Star San so that it doesn't clog. And it it's running while it's in Star San I think it will sanitise any bacteria in the attached hose as the pump pushes air through. I think this makes sense but just thought I'd check what y'all do.

When I sanitise my airstone Ross from Craftbrewer recommended that I run it while it is submerged in Star San so that it doesn't clog.
This.

Pretty much trust in the inline HEPA filter. Always have the air running before the stone enters the wort, leave it running until it clears the wort. Rinse, spray with sanitiser, wrap in alfoil until the next time and then re-sanitise before use again.
Perhaps not the safest way of doing it as I guess there's a chance something could lodge in the stone. I stuffed a stone early on in the piece while trying to clean it thoroughly, think I must have touched it, no air came thru it and cranking up the air flow just popped it off the hose, so I try to get away with as little handling as possible now.

Assuming its stainless couldn't you sanitize it by heating it in the oven?
In addition for the OP that should also dry out any moisture inside and make it work again.

I do the soak in starsan while running as well.

Every now and then I will boil in water for 15 mins then while it is still hot hook it up to my CO2 bottle to blow through.
The pressure tends to clear any junk, dries any moisture and tends to rejuvenate the stone. Stick in a plastic bag after done.

As lame as it sounds, I've wasted lots of time thinking about the sanitary aeration of wort.
After the failure/destruction of two stainless air stones, I found a simple plastic, aquarium air stone that is easily dis-assembled into a few pieces.
I store it in a spec jar of StarSan and click it back together when I need it.
Bubble size is not as fine as the high tech stones but it's one less infection risk.
Best 4 bucks I've spent in a long time.
This link should give you the clues.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/32266980...tone_ASP35.html

Hope this helps.
Harry

Hey gang been away on holidays with limited access to 'net. Just read posts now. Thanks for the recos. What I take is for the most part it's best to just leave the stone running whenever I'm handling in for sanitation or aeration. And don't touch it directly.... and trust the filter to keep nasties out of the hose itself. Clear as mud!!

I'll also try heating my current stone in the oven to see if it unclogs it. Bought a new one just in case anyway at G&G too.

Hey gang been away on holidays with limited access to 'net. Just read posts now. Thanks for the recos. What I take is for the most part it's best to just leave the stone running whenever I'm handling in for sanitation or aeration. And don't touch it directly.... and trust the filter to keep nasties out of the hose itself. Clear as mud!!

I'll also try heating my current stone in the oven to see if it unclogs it. Bought a new one just in case anyway at G&G too.

I saw from your link that the materials used are plastic and LEAD. It doesn't seem to kill the fish in an aquarium but it is worth considering. I purchased the same sort of thing too and am going to connect it to on one of those small compressors used for footballs, spray guns etc. Most likely connect a number of them together for shorter aeration time. The compressor is 1/8HP. I will also be using an inline airfilter from a car that will fit approximately standard air hose.

I saw from your link that the materials used are plastic and LEAD. It doesn't seem to kill the fish in an aquarium but it is worth considering. I purchased the same sort of thing too and am going to connect it to on one of those small compressors used for footballs, spray guns etc. Most likely connect a number of them together for shorter aeration time. The compressor is 1/8HP. I will also be using an inline airfilter from a car that will fit approximately standard air hose.

Hey mate I assume you meant the link that Harry Volting provided and not me (Hoser). I just use the typical stainless steel airstone that Craftbrewer sells.

check out this thread guys http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy...18/index11.html

Its a t-piece in a siphon tube. Looks cheap and easy to make. It draws in air from the extra bit sticking out. Apparently it can give 8ppm O2, which is pretty sweet. It also doesn't take any extra time, which i like. Going to make one of these up for the next cube i pitch.

Also, those plastic airstones can be had on ebay for $5 delivered.

I own an airstone but have never used it. Still not sure why a HB'er would require one. Never had a stuck ferment. On the HB scale there is plenty of dissolved oxygen in wort
GF

check out this thread guys http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy...18/index11.html

Its a t-piece in a siphon tube. Looks cheap and easy to make. It draws in air from the extra bit sticking out. Apparently it can give 8ppm O2, which is pretty sweet. It also doesn't take any extra time, which i like. Going to make one of these up for the next cube i pitch.

Wow that's really cool. Might need to give that a go. To this point aeration stones have been fine for me except when I last clogged one. But if it keeps being a problem I'll give the t a go!

I own an airstone but have never used it. Still not sure why a HB'er would require one. Never had a stuck ferment. On the HB scale there is plenty of dissolved oxygen in wort
GF

Lucky you. I've had a few stuck ferments! And everything I read and learn from the obviously very successful gurus of HB like Palmer and Jamil is that aeration is key to healthy yeast and successful fermentation. And since I've improved my fermentation process I've seen a massive improvement in the quality of my beers so I think I'll stay the course...

GF

And you also can't see why Liquid yeast is so much better than the dry yeast you get for $2 a packet from Coles, or why you'd bother with water chemistry or yeast nutrient, right ?

Until you've tried it back to back and seen the results, it don't mean a thing.
Dissolved oxygen in wort only hangs around for ~2hrs, as proven by screwy with a DO meter and with larger gravity beers it can be necessary to give them a shot even after pitching the yeast.

Pull that airstone out and make use of your investment, I'm reckoning you'll be suprised by the change to your beers.

When I'm bothered to use it, I use boiling or freshly boiled hot water while the pump is running to pasteurise for a few minutes to heat the stone, and then stick in starsan for a few mins with pump running.

Latest posts

Back