Sanitisers And Their Dilution Ratios

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread but I'm sick of searching.
Ive had a break from brewing due to other commitments and my starsan lid broke and shit went everywhere. I went to get some more but was sold sodium percarb as a sanitized.
On my way home I remembered it was nearly like nspisan.
It says to rinse with cold water also? Isn't this just adding chances for infection.
I would've thought it was a cleaner not a sanitizer.
Can someone clear me up on this stuff.
Think I'll order some starsan actually.
Correct. Sodium Percarb is a cleaner that has some sanitising properties and needs to be removed, by way of rinsing with water or acid based sanitiser. Starsan is what you need for a no-rinse solution.

Correct. Sodium Percarb is a cleaner that has some sanitising properties and needs to be removed, by way of rinsing with water or acid based sanitiser. Starsan is what you need for a no-rinse solution.
Is it ok to use sodium percarbonate, rinse with water and carry on or do I have to use a no rinse sanitizer.
I will be getting some but it won't be here till next week

Is it ok to use sodium percarbonate, rinse with water and carry on or do I have to use a no rinse sanitizer.
I will be getting some but it won't be here till next week
You'll only have sanitised to the quality of the water that you're rinsing with. Personally i wouldn't do it.

Use it with boiling water but you will need to rinse well.

It will work, it just isn't ideal. Great for cleaning etc and I have faith that anything designed to keep babies healthy probably has great sanitising powers - it's the rinsing again with cold water that makes it less trustworthy (so process, not product)

Back