For The Math Guru's.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave... Can you advise what you use please mate

About a cup in five liters of hot water into a mop bucket for the floor (sealed concrete), and about a three to one mix in a cheap spray bottle and a wipe down keeps the fermentation chamber (converted upright freezer) pathogen free and lemon scented.

Sorry cobber... can you tell me what you use as well. The above is the dose rates so can I assume you use a bleach like a nappy san. "give me your guff" mate cheers

I’m a firm believer that there are a few places in brewing where you shouldn’t try to cut costs, and sanitisation is one of them (yeast is another). Buying decent, brewing specific sanitising gear may cost a little more up front, but all you need to to is have to chuck a brew due to infection, or contamination from your cleaning regimen and your cheap option all of a sudden isn’t so cheap.

PBW/Sodium percarbonate/unscented napisan are great for soaking soiled brewing gear (Stainless and plastic), and if rinsed properly won’t leave any residue.

A quality no rinse (starsan or other) is a good option for fermenters/kegs/lines/bottles/cubes/caps (basically anything the final produce comes into contact with).

If both are used properly, then the cost per use will be at most $1-2 if you’re making large batches. Well worth the outlay If it means you’re not tossing out $60-100 worth of wort.

Hi Darren, I've been reading this thread with interest and can understand where you are coming from. I also hear what everyone else is saying. I have attached the link to the podcast, which is often referred to, if you haven't already listened to it, it is an interview with the chemist that developed Star San and he discusses the Bleach/Vinegar subject. Have a listen and make up your own mind.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

If this is a learning experience, why are you brewing 180 Litres at a time? Thats a sure fire way of throwing 180L of expensive hops/malt/extract down the drain if it goes bad.

I only use the extract and have been bottling the beer. I have not wasted any brews until I started with the kegs but have been given some great advice particularly from DazGore and Graham (Grmb...) and think I am getting on top of this now. I am brew so much cos I like to leave it for up to 3 months before drinking AND...I drink a hell of a lot. Lets just say that I am on the Christmas list of my Liver Doctor.

I use sodium met as per instructions and I've NEVER had a brew go bad

Back