Same Gravity Reading Pre And Post Boil...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmasbender

Reaction score
is this even possible or is my hydrometer telling porkies......

did a brew yesterday...... pre boil gravity was 1041 - boiled for 2 hrs! and took a gravity reading and it was still 1041?

yes, i cooled the wort and it was still the same. then i went and dropped the hydrometer this morning and smashed it so maybe it was broken and committed suicide?

might have to invest in a refractometer.

any words of wisdom on this gravity anomaly would be much appreciated

cheers

christmasbender

is this even possible or is my hydrometer telling porkies......

did a brew yesterday...... pre boil gravity was 1041 - boiled for 2 hrs! and took a gravity reading and it was still 1041?

yes, i cooled the wort and it was still the same. then i went and dropped the hydrometer this morning and smashed it so maybe it was broken and committed suicide?

might have to invest in a refractometer.

any words of wisdom on this gravity anomaly would be much appreciated

cheers

christmasbender

Did you adjust your readings for the temperature of the wort?

Did you leave the lid on while boiling?

Were you drinking at the time?

Seriously, it could have made you a little distracted/cross eyed/whatever so you might have misread the hydrometer.

What were your pre and post boil volumes?

Andrew

Were you drinking at the time?

Seriously, it could have made you a little distracted/cross eyed/whatever so you might have misread the hydrometer.

What were your pre and post boil volumes?

Andrew

ha ha good question but no this was a sober brewday.

pre boil vol was 32 litres and post was 27 litres

i'm not too worried about it if the beer turns out ok. i don't really care too much about the specifics but it just seems strange. hopefully i'll have a nice wheat beer to drink and that'll help me forget about it

cheers

christmasbender

but its impossible isnt it?

32 litres pre boil at 1.041

say your evap rate is 15%.... all you ever boil off is water so it would be around 27 lires post boil but surley it HAS to be a higher gravity, unless you diluted with water after the boil to reach your volume?

but its impossible isnt it?

i know, that's why i've posted the question.

no dilution. everything as normal. i think i'm just going to have to blame the hydrometer. it's broken now and has no way of proving its innocence

cheers

christmasbender

Latest posts

Back