Saison headache

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nattydstar

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I brewed a french saison (Wyeast 3711) which is now kegged and tasting wonderful, easily one of my best efforts so far.

However, every time I have even a pint of it, I'm getting a headache and slightly woozy/hungover feeling the following morning. I'm going to swap that keg out for my Cali Common for a few days to see if it subsides, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something similar with drinking Saison?

Cheers!

Not ever. Not from 1 pint.

Maybe from 10, not exclusive to saison though.

From my limited experience it Sounds like a fusal alcohol issue, often associated with higher ferm temps(which I know Saison's work off) so might have under pitched and yeast spent itself before it could clean them up. Not sure if there is a fix for this, or if it even helps. Is not norm for Saison.

Thanks guys. My brother was chugging half a dozen pints of it each day without any issues and I don't pick-up any strong alcohol scent or taste, but I'll give it an extra couple of weeks conditioning to see if that helps. Cheers!

I brewed at 7.4 % Saison. Headache the next morning after a longneck. Ferm temp was 28 deg for two weeks.

I somtimes get an instant headache from drinking my own english bitters. Leaving it to condition for a few weeks fixes it.

Yeah, I've put this one in to the fridge to condition for a few more weeks and since I swapped it over to the steam beer the headaches have gone. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Interesting Nattydstar.

I've had this happen after one pot glass of a 9% Baltic Porter.
The headache was hitting me within a few hours. No other alcohol consumed.
It has alot of residual sweetness and but down to FG 1012.

I'm thinking the yeast was stressed and put the afterburners on to get the job done and let off some weirdos in the process?

I actually have a feeling the issue with mine is that I cold crashed the Saison too early. The yeast were still busy doing their thing, but I was happy with the gravity it had reached and I was impatient, so I cold crashed it - rookie error.

Nattydstar said:
I actually have a feeling the issue with mine is that I cold crashed the Saison too early. The yeast were still busy doing their thing, but I was happy with the gravity it had reached and I was impatient, so I cold crashed it - rookie error.

This could result in an excess amount of acetaldehyde which can cause hangover/headaches. Any green apple, pumpkin skin or synthetic paint emulsion type flavours?

This was all grain, no extract or sugars used.

There weren't any unusual flavours either, but after I let it sit at 1 degree in the keg for 7-10 days longer it no longer gave me a headache. A very popular drop which didn't last long once I put it back on tap.

So I brewed another - mid-alcohol version - it's fermenting now and should be ready to keg in about a week :)

Back