Saison fermentation times/temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killspice

Reaction score
My Saison has been in the fermenter for 3 days and has dropped to 1010 already - I am only expecting another 2 points as I mashed slightly higher than I intended (~66) but my efficiency was lower than expected ended up low (1.057 instead of 1.069 - most likely due to the higher than usual grain bill) so it might still go a bit further. The krausen has subsided significantly now though.

This was with an M27 Belgian Ale yeast.

Anyway, normally I would leave a ferment for ~5-7 days with a 2deg rise for another 2 days diacetyl rest, but with the saison i'm not too sure. I started at 24, and raised 1/2 deg each half day, so i'm now at 27. I intend to go to 28/29, but i'm just not sure what to do once I get there. Do I let it rest at the higher temps for a few days, or drop it back down to "normal" fermentation temps for a few days, or just crash and bottle once the gravity is stable?

p.s. damn it tastes good already. This will not last.

I would keep raising the temp it an leave it alone for 5 to 7

I would raise temp then leave it. If the M27 is anything like the Danstar Belle Saison, I'm willing to bet your FG will be closer to 1.002-1.004, despite the slightly higher mash temp. These yeast are like that Kobayashi guy with hot dogs, they don't fu%#ing stop eating!!

Latest posts

Back