Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Saison fermentation question

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by Coalface, 26/11/19.

Tags:

1. eastgummy

Posted 23/1/20
    Motueka and Nelson sauvin... super combo

2. shacked

I like beer

Posted 23/1/20
    I brewed with Hort 4337 last weekend. Seemed to be a bit like a combo of those two!

3. eastgummy

Posted 23/1/20
    Quote descriptions found online:
    - Hort 4337: "pineapple and passionfruit as well as stone fruit (peach) and citrus (grapefruit)"
    - Motueka: "Tropical fruit and citrus"
    - Nelson Sauvin: "Smooth bittering, rich, fruity, gooseberry and white-wine flavors"

I can see why you say so! I'll buy a bag from the Hort 4337 next time I get hops. I'm really into NZ hops lately... they are awesome with belgian yeast

I got some Motueka and Nelson Sauvin some months ago and I've brewed with them:
    - WildFlower's Table Beer clone -> made 3rd in the Brew Wilder mini competition
    - Orval-inspired-thing with bastogne yeast + brett. brux. + wildflower's culture -> yeast explosion!
    - Juicy-sour (NEIPA-ed kettle sour berlinerweisse) -> awesome refreshing

I still have some left I'll probably use for a ""session-Duvel"" while the Orval-inspired one matures.
    -> recommended yeast: White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale yeast or Belle Saison

P.S. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of a triple hop Duvel special release from Belgium this christmas and it was fucking amazing -> 3 hops = Saaz + Styrian + Citra (dry hops)

Last edited: 23/1/20
  4. shacked

I like beer

Posted 23/1/20
    I've found that a slightly lower intial fermentation temp with a later ramp will suppress some ester production and allow your hops to come through. Or just ferment as normal and go with dry hops

eastgummy likes this.
  5. eastgummy

Posted 23/1/20
    nice trick! thanks!
    you're right, esters and fruity hops aren't a good couple
    I fermented my orvalish thing at 17ºC with bastogne before adding the bugs and it's awesome. the part i like the most about belgian yeast is the spice-phenols

6. Coalface

Pro Pro

Posted 4/2/20
    Eastgummy, When you say strong or mild flavour are you referring just to the level of the sourness or something else?

7. eastgummy

Posted 4/2/20
    The level of sourness is something you can measure with pH strips or a pH meter. If you do a kettle sour, the longer you keep your kettle with the lactobacillus at 35° the more lactic acid it will generate, the lower the pH -> more sour.

I was talking about the flavour the lactobacillus releases which is something you can't measure (well, maybe in a proper laboratory).
    In my simple engineer mind, yeast eats sugar, farts CO2, pisses alcohol and poops flavour (esters, phenols and other stuff); lacto eats sugar, pisses lactic acid and poops other flavours. I've only used those two: inner health IBS lactobacillus plantarum capsules and lallemand sour pitch and in my opinion I get more "lacto-flavour" with the first one.

But I might be wrong...

Lactobacillus plantarum produces a very intense and very characteristic flavour. It's good for some beers and not so much for other ones because it might be quite dominant at first. Give it two months and it will start to mellow. 4 months in and it will be subtle. That's why you want to drink your kettle soured berlinerweisse fresh and why my kettle sour Flanders red-ish was better 6 months later, well that and also Brett needs that amount of time for developing its flavour.

Lacto flavour is very easy to identify but not so much to describe. To me it's like a very intense natural honey with all the royal jelly and some lemon.

Last edited: 5/2/20
    Coalface likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted