Saflager 34/70

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wanting to know if anyone might have an idea why Fermentis 34/70 is so expensive compared to other dry yeasts within the range? Just logged on to pick some up and noticed you're looking at about $9 a pack, why is this yeast so pricey in comparison to some others?

What gives?

Probably just due to popularity and gouging and greed. It’s good but not that great. If you wanna try a truly great dry lager yeast, try S-189 or Diamond or M76.

It could be what's called a rip-off. A very common occurrence when a business entity / industry model has a product that they know people want. If there is no competition or alternative supplier, they can charge what they like. All brewers yeast packs are in this category of sales structure but this one is clearly in front. I guess I won't be trying any too soon, as was recently recommended.

Even harvesting and reusing 2 or 3 times, with the inherent risk of contaminating a whole batch, makes it cost questionable to me at that price, if at all possible. I've seen recently "helpful information" given that dried yeasts are unsuitable for harvesting and reuse because "they aren't designed for it". What? It's liquid yeast once it's rehydrated. Are the helpful people giving the information connected to the product? Is this factual or an attempt at spreading a myth to make punters buy more product?

Does anybody here harvest 34/70, or any other dried yeast for that matter? How many times can it be done successfully in non laboratory conditions but with due care taken, ie; average home brewers garage or laundry?

Yea that makes sense I guess.

I've been reusing all sorts of yeast for probably a couple of years now, 34/70 included but due to recent problems and some lucky finds from cluey members here I've begun to rethink this process entirely (especially with US-05..)

I keep WLP300, WLP833, 34/70 and S04 in my kegerators but am just going to throw them.all away now. It's not wor wasting time and money on brewing batches when they turn out crappy, best off just paying a little extra to guarantee great quality.

I notice problems with flocculation (after a few uses some beers never clear, even after months of conditioning), strange not quite right flavours and/or aromas and beers just never quite being as good as they were that very first time of use. Keep in mind that's best case, I've had some tippers too so am going back to just paying for fresh yeast now and the results have been nothing more than astounding.

One franchise HBS is selling their packaged 10 gram W34/70 (not in pink packet) for $7.00. You can buy the pink pack for under $8 in a few places which is probably OK considering it's $6.99 in the US. After currency conversion we are buying it cheaper that Stateside which is unusual for Australia.

US-05 is available on eBay for just over $4 mark when buying 3 or more packs with free postage. That's close to getting every 3rd pack for nothing.

To convince myself that it's ok to buy it I'd probably look at it is $14 for a tin, $7 for yeast and $5 for fermentable. Still good value for 30+ bottles of beer.

Hi there,

Just wanting to know if anyone might have an idea why Fermentis 34/70 is so expensive compared to other dry yeasts within the range? Just logged on to pick some up and noticed you're looking at about $9 a pack, why is this yeast so pricey in comparison to some others?

What gives?
https://cheapyeast.com.au/products/saflager-w-34-70Very hard to replace that yeast.
You could try Lallemand's Diamond, which comes close and is equally versatile.
Nothing else comes close
Cheers

One franchise HBS is selling their packaged 10 gram W34/70 (not in pink packet) for $7.00.

I don’t understand this practise.

Assuming the “double pitch for lagers” rule of thumb, we all know that an 11.5g pack of lager yeast is an under-pitch…why would a home brew store break down a brick of yeast into even smaller denominations?

Ideally they should repackage into 25g packs for a proper pitch, or at worst repackage into 11.5g packs to replicate the original product. To me 10g packs make no sense.

Funny you put that up Westheimer. I've already just put in an order for 2 x 34/70, 2 x Diamond and 3 x US-05. FREE DELIVERY on 7 packs.

Blacktop, I guess it's easier to get 50 packs instead of 43.5, and then there's profit. Retail for 500g is just over $100. Not sure about wholesale but 250% or higher profit margin is a nice little earner. This is probably why some would try to make a starter from a single pack and attempt harvesting.

I was reading through another thread where a member buys bulk 34/70, but was informed of difficulties associated with storage once opened. Perhaps bulk buying and sharing is viable for some if it's done well.

Edit: Maybe not. According to Fermentis opened packs must be stored at 4'C and used within 7 days. Either this is not the case or you'd have to be suspicious of buying broken down repackaged product.

Last edited:
Westheimer, have you used cheapyeast.com.au? Or has anybody else?

I ordered 7 satchets of yeast over a week ago and have been waiting without hearing anything or receiving delivery. The transaction is showing as "pending" on my Visa account but I was informed by Paypal that the transaction has "expired". I've contacted Cheap Yeast using their Mail / message pop-up so I'm waiting to hear back. The items were still showing in the "cart" so I then tried to re-submit the order only to find that they are out of stock US-05. No contact to advise or explain. Just nothing.
I've now amended the order to include S23 in place of US-05 but when you go through the shipping and payment procedure, nothing happens. No payment confirmation, no email. It almost appears that is just doesn't do anything and returns to the order page, but the transaction shows up in Paypal. When I return to the main page, the items are still in the "cart" which doesn't usually happen. Once an online transaction is processed items in the cart are removed and placed on the order.
Pretty poor performance so far or his webpage designer needs a different job.

Have you tried calling them?

They’re probably on holidays (as most people are)

If you haven’t received any confirmation emails, the order most likely hasn’t been processed.

Westheimer, have you used cheapyeast.com.au? Or has anybody else?

I ordered 7 satchets of yeast over a week ago and have been waiting without hearing anything or receiving delivery. The transaction is showing as "pending" on my Visa account but I was informed by Paypal that the transaction has "expired". I've contacted Cheap Yeast using their Mail / message pop-up so I'm waiting to hear back. The items were still showing in the "cart" so I then tried to re-submit the order only to find that they are out of stock US-05. No contact to advise or explain. Just nothing.
I've now amended the order to include S23 in place of US-05 but when you go through the shipping and payment procedure, nothing happens. No payment confirmation, no email. It almost appears that is just doesn't do anything and returns to the order page, but the transaction shows up in Paypal. When I return to the main page, the items are still in the "cart" which doesn't usually happen. Once an online transaction is processed items in the cart are removed and placed on the order.
Pretty poor performance so far or his webpage designer needs a different job.

As a matter of fact I ordered some yesterday to see if he's any good.
Had the order confirmation within a couple of minutes.
I guess I'll see what happens from here on in.

Have you tried calling them?

They’re probably on holidays (as most people are)

If you haven’t received any confirmation emails, the order most likely hasn’t been processed.
There is no phone contact. Only an email pop-up.

Paypal is a payment option on his page but it doesn't work. I just did Visa and it processed immediately. Bugger. I've been waiting for over a week.

I buy 3-packs on Amazon in USA to get it cheaper and then bank starters mixed with glycerine and water in the freezer.

I put an order through on the 7th all went through fine on Paypal, and showing shipped, I have used him before and very happy with the store. He carries Lallemand sachets that my LHBS does not. Going to try Diamond on my next lager for a change.

I have used cheapyeast twice now and found the service and delivery excellent. The yest comes packaged in a CD and Photo Mailer and takes about 3 days from order from Miranda NSW to Maitland NSW.
Thanks for the info. Since I'm in Geelong, I'll wait until autumn to order from there, so the yeasties will be cooler in transit.

All sorted now. I tried Paypal again and it failed again so I just paid with my Visa card. He is investigating, but it's a bugger I've waited a week and missed out on the 34/70.

Back