Saf Ale S-04 Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco_tezz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am about to make a Strong Stout, and i am just wondering how tolerent this yeast is to highier percentage Alcohol?

Up to what total percentage can this yeast be used?

Cheers

:beerbang:

Hi Guys,

I am about to make a Strong Stout, and i am just wondering how tolerent this yeast is to highier percentage Alcohol?

Up to what total percentage can this yeast be used?
Cheers

:beerbang:

Cant answer your question but the SO4 will be suitable - no problems at all.
Cheers
Steve

unfortunatly my work computer won't open .pdf files for some odd reason but have a look at the fermentis website and hopefully the pdf there on s-04 will tell you alc. tolerance

http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/30-10_product_hb.asp

i'd say 8.6 would be stretching your luck tho

-Phill

I had already checked that PDF. through the Wiki section and could not find the answer,
thats why i was posting the question here,

thanks anyway Phill

What would happen if the Yeast couldn't handle that strength?

Will it ferment to its limit, and stop, or would i have to chuck the batch out?

s-04 should do 8.6% no problems at all.

ive done 8% with it before and it was fine.

Disco_Tezz

I sent fermentis an email a while ago asking about yeasts for an RIS 9-11% (I was using a recipe that called for a dry yeast). I also stipluated that I wanted an english yeast of authenticity. what they said was:

Safbrew S-33 if English is important in your brew or Safale US-05. Use about 80g /hectolitre.

So you could use either of those or an equivilent. one of our online sponsors have both S33 and S05 and their equivilent counterparts.

Cant comment on S04. but you would want to use a bit of it. and you may have to pitch a packet towards the end to finish it off.

Disco_Tezz

I sent fermentis an email a while ago asking about yeasts for an RIS 9-11% (I was using a recipe that called for a dry yeast). I also stipluated that I wanted an english yeast of authenticity. what they said was:

Safbrew S-33 if English is important in your brew or Safale US-05. Use about 80g /hectolitre.

So you could use either of those or an equivilent. one of our online sponsors have both S33 and S05 and their equivilent counterparts.

Cant comment on S04. but you would want to use a bit of it. and you may have to pitch a packet towards the end to finish it off.
I was going to suggest S-33 as I've used it in an 8%+ dark ale before and it finished out nicely. According to Fermentis, it can handle up to 11%. CraftBrewer have it for around $1 per 6g pack.

Latest posts

Back