Sabsosa 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I scored a 2nd for my dry stout - a slight variation on Warrens 4 shades of stout.

Also got a 2nd in the hybrid category but wont know whether it was my Alt or Kolsch until the official results get posted.

Not too shabby for my first SABSOSA.

On to ANAWBS and the AABC.

Also gotta a call, second place for my ESB (Inspectors Pocket ESB Modified, aka Screwtop). Only entered 4 beers and really thought that my ESB was not up there. Was your beer an AG? Try the Tanunda show with the same beer. I think that is in February. Maybe the Gawler judges aren't that experienced, I am not sure who they were. Now before others get there back up, its not whether you brew AG, partials or Kits. To me it is more about feedback and ways of improving your brewing. Oh BTW my ESB was from grain supplied by Beerbelly and hops supplied by Craftbrewer Share the love around, so to speak :rolleyes:

BYB

Congrats Andy, well deserved mate, serious brewing pays dividends :super:

I scored a 2nd for my dry stout - a slight variation on Warrens 4 shades of stout.

Also got a 2nd in the hybrid category but wont know whether it was my Alt or Kolsch until the official results get posted.

Not too shabby for my first SABSOSA.

On to ANAWBS and the AABC.

What about Smurto's Golden Ale?? :( Ah what do judges know anyway :lol:

BYB

I got....

A 1st Place in the Strong Ale with a K&B Old Ale - scored 90 (missed out on best kit 91.5)
A 2nd in the Strong Ale with an AG Barley Wine - scored 87.5 (missed out on best mash 88.5)
A 3rd place in the Wheat & rye with a bavarian wiezen bock.

The BBC as far as i know received at least one place in every category.

Also gotta a call, second place for my ESB (Inspectors Pocket ESB Modified, aka Screwtop). Only entered 4 beers and really thought that my ESB was not up there. Was your beer an AG? Try the Tanunda show with the same beer. I think that is in February. Maybe the Gawler judges aren't that experienced, I am not sure who they were. Now before others get there back up, its not whether you brew AG, partials or Kits. To me it is more about feedback and ways of improving your brewing. Oh BTW my ESB was from grain supplied by Beerbelly and hops supplied by Craftbrewer Share the love around, so to speak :rolleyes:

BYB

Tanunda Show will be held March 14th, entries will close by the 4th March. As convenor I can let you know that next years Tanunda show is shaping up to be great event, lots of generous sponsors have come on-board and the prizes offered will be fantastic. Sorry to be a little off-topic!

Results should be up on the SABSOSA website today sometime.

The day ran smoothly thanks to the dedicated committee and stewards :beer: !

C&B
TDA

has anyone ever sent a beer to these guys for feedback ... BUSSELL AND DUNN? linky

I haven't sent beer to them, but I can say that Hugh Dunn is very good at picking faults in beers, and now teaches Brewing at Edith Cowan University over here.

I'm not sure if Roger Bussell and him are still doing the whole feedback thing anymore though. I can find out if you like? (drop me a PM).

Just had Mike confirm that I took out 1st for my Australian Wheat in the Wheat Category and 1st for my Oktoberfest in the Dark Lager.

At the Gawler Show my Australian Wheat only scored 20pts and was supposedly "not true to style" go figure!!! :huh:

Talk about being stoked well done to all the Barossa Boys who entered

Hi everyone,

Results have been posted on the SABSOSA website. Apologies for the delay.

Thanks to all those who entered and congrats to all the winners. Thanks to the judges, and stewards and all the other people who helped make the event run smoothly.

The SABSOSA Committee hopes to see you all at the Holdfast Brew Pub on Sunday 21st September at around 11:30am for a 12pm presentation ceremony.

Cheers
Tim

Well done to all the placegetters... Looks like there were some good beers on show!

I hope to be organised enough to get in on the action next year :(

I haven't sent beer to them, but I can say that Hugh Dunn is very good at picking faults in beers, and now teaches Brewing at Edith Cowan University over here.

I'm not sure if Roger Bussell and him are still doing the whole feedback thing anymore though. I can find out if you like? (drop me a PM).

If they are still doing it, and you send a beer, make sure you explain what it is. Vlad sent them a finely crafted Brett beer, and I believe the feedback was along the lines that he was a dirty dirty brewer who should clean his fermenter before he put the can in.

Great to see a mix of old and new names in the lists, looks like it was a good show. Well done to everyone who put beers in and put the hard yards in on the judging day(s).

Congratulations to all of the winners, especially Adam Beauchamp for best brewer (and yes of course you Kenny :) )

Good on the rest of you too, lots of familiar names in the list, hope to see even more next year!

I would encourage everyone who can make it to head down to the presentation, there will still be another lucky brewer on the day :ph34r: B)

I know you all thought it was me, T stands for Beauchamp...

No Adam Beauchamp on here then?

Just got my judging sheets back and i must say, they are very insightful. Some high praise, constructive criticism and hints on where i could improve. Cant ask much more than that!

Turns out my Dussledorf Altbier got a 2nd to the eventual best mash beer so pretty happy with that. Still have 3/4 of a keg of the beast so happy to know i have an award winning beer ready to go.

As for the Golden Ale Hearls, will be entering it again in ANAWBS but as a special/best/bitter. It gets lost in the APA category as its right on the lower limits. Both judging sheets did say it was 'very drinkable, clean and crisp' so it is what it is just not true to style. According to the guidelines for 8B, special/best/bitter, US hops are allowed.

Big thanks to all those involved, i will try to get involved next year as a steward to take the load of others.

i was going to do the same as Adamt and apologise for entering a IIPA that used 260g of hops in a 20L batch but Jayse enjoyed it. Got a dozen bottles left if you want any more mate!

I am so going to enter this comp...looks like a challenge!!!

I have a year to get the perfect brew going - they grade beers for you if you send em in to them huh? (non comp) - to get feedback.

If you have a judging sheet from me, my name is on them, please feel free to shoot me an pm if you have any questions. More than happy to provide more feedback if I can.

I am so going to enter this comp...looks like a challenge!!!

I have a year to get the perfect brew going - they grade beers for you if you send em in to them huh? (non comp) - to get feedback.

Why not enter the Tanunda Show - we will have teh same BJCP judges - 9 out of the 13 categories - no limit on entries per category - great prizes/sponsorship - hell every entrant gets a back copy of OZ Beer & Brewer Magazine just for entering - but..............

BEST OF ALL - you get feedback in Mar 2009 so you can then incorporate the judges feedback into the next brew and enter it in SASOSA 2009...SO YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR :)

Cant get any better than that. :icon_cheers:

If anyone has or knows of the where abouts of a judging sheet for second place in the low alcohol section can you drop me or luka on ahb a pm. They were not in the envolope when I checked

BYB

Back