Sa Xmas Case Swap 2006

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kai, can you remember what the number was on the cap - 16 or 17?

There's a 17 lurking on top of my fridge, I'll assume it was that. I did find it a little too full-bodied by the end of the glass.

There's a 17 lurking on top of my fridge, I'll assume it was that. I did find it a little too full-bodied by the end of the glass.

Just a little :rolleyes:

I put in half batch 16 and half batch 17. Batch 16 only had 10% Vienna and less alcohol. A lighter nicer beer I think.

Well if you're going to split batches then next year I'd like the better one please ;)

That being said, with a brewing and fermentation management there's no reason why 17's vienna proportion would result in too full-on an apa. Just lower the mash temp, add a little sugar, use a more attenuative yeast, etc etc etc.

tdh's pkoelsch

this one's a fun one since a big hairy group of us brewed the same beer. 1.050, 25 IBU, 100% pils, 2565 originally cultured by your intrepid poster. Mine is still sitting in secondary ready to bottle tomorrow.

Hazy despite lucy's best efforts, fantastic head that keeps up with a steady tight bead. Aroma is faintly yeasty with perhaps a trace of sulphur. Body moderately full. I find it a little hard to judge as I am both trying to compare it to mine and suffering from a palate snowed under by the rest of tonight. Definitely enjoying it but the lingering impression is that it is slightly too full-bodied and too yeasty.

A few beers from a few nights back when I forgot to post :S

SteveSAs American Pale Ale

Pours light amber, slightly hazy with mousse-like white head. Cannot detect any hop aroma, but a big citrussy hop whomp on the palate with a crisp lasting bitterness.

Jazmans Mongrel Lager

Pours with a quality head that stays without lacing. Woody, pine and citrus hop aromas fly everywhere. Malt is mostly subdued in the background by the big hoppiness. Medium bitterness on the finish.

Gonzos Intoxicator Weizenbock

Pours rich, dark brown with very wheat-like tan head. Aroma of heavy malt and prunes? Cant quite pick the fruit but its dark. Very strong malt flavour with chewy wheat mouthfeel. Picking up esters of banana, raisins and possibly bubblegum? Can feel a vanilla-like smoothness on the throat, along with alcohol warming.

I fell asleep at the computer after finishing the Intoxicator, but it was awesome. Thanks Sam.

Peas & Corn's Honey Beer

Pours straw to lightish yellow with a generous head. Aroma is spiced, with a hint cloves and honey yummy. Great attempt a a honey wheat, ery nice, and Adam T say "great session beer"

Cheers
JSB (not many left now !!!)

I have started a yeast collection from known sources. I normally take them direct from white labs or wyeast packs.

I have quickly put together an excel spreadsheet, (below) with some details of bottling dates and what yeast was used.
Anyone that is interetsted could you please let me know what yeast you used and when it was bottled, please?

I know it is hard to believe but I have not managed to have one beer from the case, yet. I just don't know where the time went. Actually I do, a new baby, both sets of parents visiting for christmas and a brewery to be built over a shortened break from work. I am now only trying to work out what beers are ready to drink and what aren't and if I can snaffle the yeast from the brew.
View attachment 10871

I have also thought of putting a book together of the brews, the recipe and a label picture. Not sure if it will get much interest this year but perhaps the next one we could do it. That said if everyone is happy to supply the details and a postal address I will put something together and post it here for comments and editing and then print them in colour and bind them up at work. PM the details me if you want in.

Mine was Wyeast 3725 and was bottled around mid November.

IRA - Notingham Dry
Belgian - Wyeast Trappist 3787

Cheers
JSB

Fantastic Idea Kirem.

Mine is labelled on the bottle cap..

2633 Octoberfest Blend - fermented in august - bottled 02 Sep06

Ken...

I used US56 dried yeast for the American Brown. Don't bother :)

Should be ready to drink if you want a go....

A couple from the last few nights I'd forgotten to post.

Pedros Pale

Served cool. Pours an extremely bright copper colour with small white head. English hop aroma. Low on carbonation, decent bitterness, and a faint finish of roasted and caramel flavours. Was hoping for some fruity flavours, but still quite drinkable and enjoyable.

Pedros Plight

Pours golden with big head. High carbonation with a light body, faint woody hop flavour and bitterness. Best light beer I've had, but still, a light beer. PFFT! :p

Russ Taylors APA (17)

Pours dark amber, hazy with small white head. Strong grapefruit aroma. Bold bock-like maltiness with citrus and spicy hop flavours. Suggest a rename to APB (American Pale Bock). Very unconventially full bodied but quite more-ish.

Edit: Formatting.

US56 for my Amarillo Wheat too, not worth the hassle of reculture.

I am with Kirem, in that my case is untouched too. Only just back from the beach, will get some chilled over the next week or so.

US-56 for my IPA too.

Doglets American Brown

Pours dark brown with small off-white head. Rich chocolate aroma. Toasty and chocolate malt profile. Citrus hop flavour with medium bitterness. Low diacetyl on the finish along with a nice sweet malt flavour.

Ken,

I didn't get your beer in my case.

I thought if we could do something like the vicbrew booklet.

Kirk

Don't know why...

Will have to work something out....

when are you down this way next -

i also have my TTLPA that is tasting nice in teh bottle...Happy for you to try some.

Back