Sa Xmas Case Swap 2006

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
updated excel spreadsheet.

I will start compiling the recipes & reviews posted so far into one document in the next few days.

Kirk,

i have an extra bottle of Kenny's Oktoberfest here.

Yeasts used were 3068 & 3638 together.

Anyone interested in an Easter case?

Start a new thread if need be.

I will pass on Ken's beer thanks.

Yeast- Wyeast 1056, I think it was bottled in late October.

I'm interested in an easter case, but not wholly sure if I can make a contribution or not- I'm back from Japan on the 19th feb. Spose I'll have to put a warning on the label to leave it for a bit.

easter is too soon as i wont be brewing until then
]

Maybe a 'christmas in july case'? I don't mind having two a year personally, because it was a good outing :)

Anyone interested in an Easter case?

Start a new thread if need be.

I will pass on Ken's beer thanks.

errrrr, i think that's a piss-take regarding Kens beer (i could be wrong), not an effort to start an Easter case.

I will be in on an Easter case if there is enough interest.

Adamt's IPA

Pours a lightish amber colour with haze, medium carbonation and white head.
Aroma is estery and some floral notes.
Flavour is nice firm clean bitterness with medium malt flavour and a medium body.
All up this was a really nice beer.

Pedros Pale
Lovely clear copper coloured beer with tight white head.
Aroma is spicy, toffee with some background esters.
Huge malt flavour backed up by well balanced bitterness. Clean finish, the base has to be MO surely.
Nice one Pedro.

Pedro's Phest
Burnt orange in colour with good clarity and creamy head.
Aroma is sweet malt with something else I can't put my finger on.
On tasting I can get the beginnings of oxidisation and makes it hard to decipher any other flavours although I can detect some toastiness.
Shame but I had tried one of these before and can confirm it was good then.

C&B
TDA

I will join in - if you guys let me....

Seems my last outing was not one of my bests...

Might just have to bring 2 cartons on the day - let you guys taste one of each and then choose the one that goes in...

About to bottle my Vanilla Bourbon Porter...
Also have the Timothy Tailor, a Bock and the Lees Harvest Barley Wine -now 18months old - in bottles.

No chance for an easter case for me.

Pedro's Phest
Burnt orange in colour with good clarity and creamy head.
Aroma is sweet malt with something else I can't put my finger on.
On tasting I can get the beginnings of oxidisation and makes it hard to decipher any other flavours although I can detect some toastiness.
Shame but I had tried one of these before and can confirm it was good then.

C&B
TDA

Hopefully when I get the bottling line running, I can supply some decent samples of the 'Phest beer.
I had some myself over xmas and it was oxidised badly, don't know what I did wrong with that one.

The Pale Ale is a very secret recipe, but I can tell you it is only 2 aussie malts. Selection of the yeast for this beer makes a lot of difference.

Cheers
Pedro

No chance for an easter case for me.

Ditto from this quarter.

July maybe, but once a year kind of makes this a very special occasion. I think I'd rather keep it that way.

Still to open any of mine, btw.

Finally celebrating xmas :D

Amac's pils was the first to go. Disconcetringly cloudy, presumably from chill haze. Looks more like a wit than a pils. The head is small also. The good news is that the crisp flavour belies the cloudly appearance. Good bitterness, without being aggressive. I am willing to bet this is a beer that would taste great off the keg - and that Amac has none left of it :p

Peas and corn's honey beer - good clarity for a honey wheat. Honey evident on the nose. Spritzy, maybe a little too much so, with elements of clove and spice. Leads to a dry finish. I'm not a fan of the honey wheat style by any stretch of the imagination, but this seems a pretty good take on the style.

I had some of my BDG over the weekend and it is really over carbonated. Apologies to all. It will take ages to pour. If you persist it is still tasting ok, to my taste anyway.

If anyone has an Intoxocator left mine exploded on Sunday night so you probably want to keep it nice and cold.

Not much of the case to go...

TDH you're Koelsch is bloody sensational! Easily the most enjoyable beer I've had from the case.

Which is not to take anything away from some other very good beers in the case - but this one takes the cake IMHO.

Grin factor abounds - enough said
Steve

Thanks Steve!

Koelsch is a brilliant beer style, I plan to brew it often.

My yeast, Kirem, is 2565 that I cultured out of a 3 year old Wyeast pack, I didn't use a sample from Kai's batch.
By the way, the booklet idea is a bewdy.

100% Pils malt
Wyeast 2565
German Tettnanger to ~25 IBU
Mashed at 65-66*C
OG - 1.050
FG - 1.008

To me reminiscent of Kuepper's Koelsch in Cologne.

Anybody out there had Koelsch in Cologne?

tdh

Not much of the case to go...

TDH you're Koelsch is bloody sensational! Easily the most enjoyable beer I've had from the case.

Which is not to take anything away from some other very good beers in the case - but this one takes the cake IMHO.

Grin factor abounds - enough said
Steve

30 - ?
BDG - ?
5150 -
86 - ?
15/11 PB - ?

Somebody know off the top of their head who's brew and what it is?

tdh

Back