S.S. Olive Oil Drums.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Many of us use now use these as fermenters, I thought some of you maybe interested in these.
$2.00 laundry bags and 30lt drums fit beautifully, nice for storage to keep the dust, spiders etc off them.
I found them at King Kong but I guess plenty of import shops carry them.

22549895_2158581154368817_311040594963557488_n.jpg
DSCF7926.JPG
DSCF7927.JPG

batz, bit off topic but do you have any links to buy large versions of the drums (over 100L)?

Hey Batz

What's the go with air lock etc. Are you using 'as is', US carboy fashion, or modifying in some way?

Hey Batz

What's the go with air lock etc. Are you using 'as is', US carboy fashion, or modifying in some way?

I just use gladwrap and a big rubber band, same as I did with my plastic feremters. Some of the guys have drilled the lids for an air-lock, easy if that's what you want.

Thats the plan except im still waiting for the parts for my spunding valve.

Thats what I'm hoping to do also. Currently doing 40L batches in 50L kegs, hoping to go bigger.

Do you think the vessel will be able to withstand pressure?

I dont think ill be cranking it up to 12psi on the first brew or ever but it handle it ok. I hope. The lid on my Aginox can be a bit tricky to get on but it has a silocone o ring and is air tight.

I dont think ill be cranking it up to 12psi on the first brew or ever but it handle it ok. I hope. The lid on my Aginox can be a bit tricky to get on but it has a silocone o ring and is air tight.

nice - i'll be watching with interest!

lastly, what are the dims of yours? would be a massive bonus if it fits in my fridge

I just use gladwrap and a big rubber band, same as I did with my plastic feremters. Some of the guys have drilled the lids for an air-lock, easy if that's what you want.

Thanks Batz

So the answer to the question "do they hold pressure" is no :eek::oops::rolleyes::D 2-3 PSI max and even then I wouldn't be sure if it not leaking. Yes I tried to fill it to 12psi and yes the lid pooped off :oops:. The thread just isnt deep enough to get a good hold. So maybe not suitable for pressure fermenting but it should work with a C02 filled bottle for cold crashing, very nicely.

So the answer to the question "do they hold pressure" is no :eek::oops::rolleyes::D 2-3 PSI max and even then I wouldn't be sure if it not leaking. Yes I tried to fill it to 12psi and yes the lid pooped off :oops:. The thread just isnt deep enough to get a good hold. So maybe not suitable for pressure fermenting but it should work with a C02 filled bottle for cold crashing, very nicely.

haha ok, i'll hold off and stick to 2 kegs then! cheers

Latest posts

Back