Olive oil drum blow off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr B

Reaction score
Hey all

I just pitched about 45l of wort into a 50l Aginox olive oil drum, using glad wrap to cover.

A little worried about a krausen explosion, and contemplating how I could fit a blowoff.

Anyone got any examples of doing this?

Options probably are:
drilling the lid and using a grommet and hose;
making a dodgy glad wrap fitting to get the end of a hose in there;
something else;
not worrying and cleaning up a couple of times

Show me your inspiration

Cheers

If you drill the lid, you'll need a silicon bung rather than the grommet as the lid is on the thin side.

I believe that RdeVjun is getting a drill job as well on his fusti and could advise.

Considering the price of the kit you'd need to be a competent handyman as drilling thin metal is not for the faint hearted.

Good call Bribie, drilling thin stainless is hairy.

Mr B, I've got a chassis punch i used for adding stick elements to a stainless kettle. You drill a small hole, insert the punch and then use a spanner, really clean cut and I'd then use a silicone bung with a hole in it. Much easier to clean. Happy to lend it to you, bit of postage involved or see if you can find one in Coffs to lend. Auto shops have them as do plumbers and electrical installers for conduit holes.

I believe that RdeVjun is getting a drill job as well on his fusti and could advise.

Considering the price of the kit you'd need to be a competent handyman as drilling thin metal is not for the faint hearted.

It's all in how you profile your drill bit.

Who, me??! Oh wait, I am too!. :D Secret KGB subcontractor, not at liberty to discuss method in detail... given that I don't actually know for sure! I don't think it's drilled in the usual manner, could be more bespoke, filing an existing aperture maybe. The gauge of the work is pretty challenging I believe.

Or a simple trick is to sandwich the thin metal between to thinker pieces with clamps.

Also, use all your drills bits, don't just drill a 3mm pilot then go straight to 13mm (or finished size), maybe go every 2nd size up, 3 then 5 then 7 and so on (excluding half sizes).

Doing this will keep your center plus only give each drill bit a little bit of work to do rather than take a full cut.

Thanks all, drilling is good

Just for fun last night - on first use, the tap didnt seal (ermm, no water test) so had a little drippy situation with one cube of two in there.

Put the champion lid on, laid her down, and no leaks.

Off with the nasty leaking but beautiful stainless tap, on with some thread tape and sanitiser, and back in we go.

Sooooo, I do rather like the nice shiny no leaky lid.

I might have to do the drill and hose and bung job but get a spare bung as well.

She's not overflowing yet, better try to find the time to get the bits tomoz.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back