Secondary fermentation in plastic drum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob the builder

Reaction score
hello all,

this is my first post here.

I've been brewing on and off for 15+ years and always bottling the brew, but the other day just thought about the empty olive oil drums I've got lying about.

They're 20 litres, with a standard screw-in tap at the bottom (same as jerry cans) and a larger screw-top lid at the top. I was thinking I could do the primary ferment then rack off into one of these, add extra dextrose then seal up and leave it to carbonate.

My only real worry is about blowing the tap or the lid, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with doing something similar or knows about adjustable pressure valves that could be fitted,

many thanks,

Bob

Are they blue?
I think they're made from nylon which absorbs oil into its structure. Oil is not great with beer, I think it kills head and maybe tastes a little like olives.
If you make a Baltic porter the flavours might suit though?

They are pretty strong though so would be good for serving a real ale. In which case it may have been discussed on British forums.

There's probably plenty of other pros/cons too.

No, they're translucent white. I and friends have been using them for years (after thorough cleaning!) in the kitchen to drink tankwater out of and they don't seem to affect the taste.
I'll have a look on the British forums.

Back