S-189 Pitched At 10c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is only my 4th lager, and my first with dry yeast. It's also the first time I've pitched my yeast at fermentation temp (10C) - usually I pitch at around 18C and slowly cool to fermentation temp.

Problem is it's now been 48 hours since I pitched my yeast and there's still no sign of a krausen and very little airlock activity (CO2 is being produced, but the airlock is only bubbling about once every 45 seconds).

Here's the particulars:

OG: 1060
Yeast: S-189 36 grams rehydrated in 250ml of boiled water cooled to 10C
Wort temp: 10C

Haven't taken a hydro reading since pitching, but will probably do so if there's no visible improvement soon. I'm beginning to suspect I should have rehydrated my yeast at a higher temperature....

Anyone with experience with this yeast able to offer any advice?

Sounds like you have done everything right so I would wait another 24 hrs before pitching some more yeast. But in the meantime take a hydro reading.

Sounds like you have done everything right so I would wait another 24 hrs before pitching some more yeast. But in the meantime take a hydro reading.

+1

You've pitched plenty of yeast, and this is a fairly agressive strain.

Usually I see visual evidence within 24hrs. To rehydrate I add the yeast to 10 times its weight in cooled boiled water at ambient temp, cover with glad wrap and wait 10 min then whisk, recover and wait another 10 min.

It will soon be away.

Cheers,

Screwy

+1

You've pitched plenty of yeast, and this is a fairly agressive strain.

Usually I see visual evidence within 24hrs. To rehydrate I add the yeast to 10 times its weight in cooled boiled water at ambient temp, cover with glad wrap and wait 10 min then whisk, recover and wait another 10 min.

It will soon be away.

Cheers,

Screwy

Just took a hydro reading. Gravity appears to have dropped marginally (around 2 or 3 points), so I guess something's happening (slooowly). Just the lack of krausen is a little disconcerting....

Forgot to add in my original post that I aerated with an aquarium pump and stone for 20 minutes when the wort was around 25C, then proceeded to chill it to 10C before pitching.

You guys don't see any problem with me rehydrating with 10C water?

relax.

Hydrating before pitching would have helped, as would a starter with a larger cell count. This works: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That mentioned, I recon it is working. Lagers take longer, that includes krausen. Be patient.

relax.

Hydrating before pitching would have helped, as would a starter with a larger cell count. This works: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That mentioned, I recon it is working. Lagers take longer, that includes krausen. Be patient.
Hey Jazza,

Thanks. Just to clarify - I did rehydrate, with 250 ml of boiled water cooled to 10C. Just concerned that 10C was too cool and I should have rehydrated at around 20C...

Just the lack of krausen is a little disconcerting....
Chill, it's a bottom fermenting yeast

Forgot to add in my original post that I aerated with an aquarium pump and stone for 20 minutes when the wort was around 25C, then proceeded to chill it to 10C before pitching.
From experience, using dried yeast with aerated wort increases lag time.
You guys don't see any problem with me rehydrating with 10C water?
No

You have rehydrated and pitched plenty of yeast. Oxygenating may produce a little more acetaldehyde than normal for this yeast.

Screwy

Ozpowell, I pitched mine 4 days ago at 8 degrees and it's moving, albeit slowly. I've just put a heat pad under the fermenter set at 12 degrees. I've used this yeast a lot in the last year or so, don't worry about it, it will be fine.

I still think you have pitched the healthiest yeast possible and they are currently just taking their sweet ass time having sex. With all that oxygen and their sterol reserves they are dragging out the fun part of fermenting :D

I find that if I pitch the S-189 below 15 deg C or so it takes a long time to fire. I normally re-hydrate 2 packs and pitch at 18 and cool from that. But it will fire and should be fine.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. At least now I feel a little more confident that I haven't stuffed something up.

BTW - Still blooping only every 45 seconds or so.... Driving my OCD crazy. :wacko:

Back