Quantcast

Rye And Biab

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Rina

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any experiences since I'd like to try BIAB with rye. 30% from what I searched seems manageable conventionally.

stef

Reaction score
I did one with about 10% a couple of weeks ago. No noticable difference.

Dont know about 30% though- i imagine it'd be fine but never tried. Might need to give the bag a bit more of a squeeze.

felten

Homebrew Conjecturist
Reaction score
I've used 40% before, took some extra squeezing to get the wort out but YMMV

Rina

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the replies.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
Yeah, as per the other responses, there's no problem mashing Rye by BIAB, just be patient when draining it (i.e. suspend the bag to drain), a sparge should help if you're able to do so.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
If using an urn with a concealed element you may need to give the element a scrub a couple of times during the boil as i found out making tonys roggen. It caked up pretty fast and cut out. Had a consistency of engine oil almost, i loved it but others didnt like the mouthfeel.
Cheers

Pat Casey

Reaction score
Rye beer or a beer with a bit of rye in it?

From several years ago: 70% rye malt, 25% Vienna and 5% Caramalt. Can't remember the hopping (something German to moderate bitterness), but fairly sure the yeast was Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. Unfortunately parts of my blog disappeared. Did this in a mash tun with a false bottom and a grain bag, so BIAB should present no problems. This was for home. Very drinkable, the keg lasted about a fortnight. Should do another.

Pat

Rina

Reaction score
I'm still deciding if it is going to be a roggenbier or a APA with rye (about 30%) based on the responses here. I'm sort of leaning towards a roggenbier for simplicity's sake (as in flavour profile).
@seamad will heed the advice about it catching on the bottom.

eamonnfoley

Foleybraü
Reaction score
If your concerned about getting wort from the bag, do a mashout step. Wort drains much easier at 76C, than below 70C

Rina

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Doing some research roggenbiers are apparently half barley, some wheat, some rye. Looks like I'll need to do a protein rest, mash out and sparge. Either way I'm pretty much preparing for a long and messy day.

Rina

Reaction score
Cool found it, I'll probably use the same grain proportions.

Latest posts