Russian Imperial Stout - Have you brewed one?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast are you using? I've got my first RIS in the fermenter ATM. It's been in there 1 week now and is at 1.031 (down from 1.099). Used wy1056. It raced down to 1.034 and has been trickling along at 1 point per day for the last few days. Hoping for 1.025ish.

Im using Mangrove Jacks British Ale, will see how it goes. I have some spare 099 that i can culture up if needed.

Well it went and did this:
11222570_10153521560480944_1250744404474207271_n.jpg

Another krausen explosion. Smaller than last time thankfully, and that photo is post clean up. Really need to get another spike adapter for a blow off tube.
Stout tastes good so far. Come from 1.103 to 1.060 in 48hrs. Keep on going little yeasties.

Well the fermentation is pretty much finished, and to reduce the chance of infections from the explosion im going to rack it off to secondary sooner rather than later. Planning on racking half of it ontop of oak chips, and half ontop of raspberries.

The American oak chips im figuring about 100g/10L and letting it soak for a while (after soaking them in Woodford bourbon). But not sure on the Raspberries, how much fruit would i need for a 10L batch?

Lots.. In the Recent Geelong shoot-out, judges said there should have been more, I'd put 1.5kg into a 20lt batch, so double that if it's being judged, or about that if it's just for you, must be said, the one that was judges was 6 to 10 months old so may have backed off by then.

That taster you gave me was quite berry filled, so i reckon it would be overpowering with double that!

How did you do the raspberries yob? And where did you get 1.5kg for a reasonable price? (Or was it just expensive?)

takai said:
Well the fermentation is pretty much finished, and to reduce the chance of infections from the explosion im going to rack it off to secondary sooner rather than later. Planning on racking half of it ontop of oak chips, and half ontop of raspberries.

The American oak chips im figuring about 100g/10L and letting it soak for a while (after soaking them in Woodford bourbon). But not sure on the Raspberries, how much fruit would i need for a 10L batch?
What FG did you end up with?

Sorry Yob, I was referring to takai. Speaking of you though, looks like my RIS stopped at 1.031, down from 1.099. It's a bit higher than I wanted but out of the fermenter it doesn't taste to syrupy or anything at this stage so fingers crossed. I mashed at 68 degrees and it had 6.5% crystal so I am thinking its done. I've bumped the temp another 2 degrees, given it another rouse and will test again Thursday and bottle if it hasn't moved.

Mine has stopped at roughly 1.024, all from packet yeast!

Will take a hydrometer reading when i rack it off the yeast rather than my refrac readings.

takai said:
Mine has stopped at roughly 1.024, all from packet yeast!

Will take a hydrometer reading when i rack it off the yeast rather than my refrac readings.
Nice. I used my refractometer during the fermentation and when compared to my hydrometer it was spot on. Ill probably use it more often during fermentation to waste less beer from now on.

Yeah, i use mine through most ferments, but for this one i want the confirmation of the hydrometer as i have been adding dex to the primary and want to confirm the FG absolutely rather than having it dependent on the calculated OG.

Hydrometer reads 1.026, so within rounding/calculation error for the Refractometer reading. Win.

Split the secondary on the RIS today. 10L on 100g of American Oak chips that had been soaked in a mixture of Bowmore Cask Strength, Aberlour A'Bundh and Ardbeg Uggedail. Another 10L on 1kg of raspberries :)

Took a solid FG reading too: 1.023. 14.87% :eek:

takai said:
Split the secondary on the RIS today. 10L on 100g of American Oak chips that had been soaked in a mixture of Bowmore Cask Strength, Aberlour A'Bundh and Ardbeg Uggedail.
How long had you soaked those chips for?

Takai, not sure how long you are planning to secondary but I would keep a pretty close watch on the oak chip half and taste regularly. In my (relatively limited) experience oak chips can lead to an over oaked beer pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Back