Running a burner on natural gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aces High

Reaction score
I had a natural gas point added to my shed when it was built and I'd like to run my burner from this.

I know that I will probably need to adjust the burner hole sizes when changing to NG, but can someone who understands more about NG explain why I need to add a regulator into the line from the gas point to the burner.

Our street is already low pressure and the burner I am using has a proper gas valve at the neck going into the venturi. Shouldn't I be able to control the gas flow from the valve?

i probably don't know that much about NG, but I do know your stovetop/oven if it's gas has a regulator, I think it's something to do with the right pressure/volume and the right jets - you need a combination of them to get the flame right I think.

when you say you're street is low pressure - what does that mean? is there different pressure NG supplies?

also a 'proper' gas valve on your burner? needle valve? I reckon you'd get pretty good control with a needle valve. I'd say have a go, but don't blame me if you end up on the Darwin Awards!

perhaps best to listen to someone who knows and not me :p

The reg at the street is a first stage reg, regulates mains pressure to fitting line pressure, you then need a second stage(appliance reg) at the appliance.
This due to NG supply pressure being lower than LPG(about 1/3). This is also why the pipework for NG is larger than LPG.
Should be able to pic one up for any appliance shop, I throw them out at work all the time as I convert applinaces to LPG up here in the sticks.
Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back