Rugby World Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wobbly said:
How much longer are the IRU going to allow the Kiwi's the privilege of trying to intimidate the opposition with the pre kick off Haka?

I have nothing against the Haka per-se just don't understand why they are allowed to do it without the opposition being allowed equal time/opportunity to do what ever they wanted to in the name of some sort of ritual

There was a move in the 2003 WC when the Ausies wanted a rendition of Walzing Matilda to be sung by John Williamson after the national anthem and before kick off but that was disallowed.

Whilst it may be some sort of Maori ritual/war dance showing defiance to the advancing enemy the New Zealand National Team is not a "Maori team" and yes it could be said that the "current teams" have adopted it as their theme but that still doesn't get away from the fact that they (the Kiwis) are allowed to try and take some sort of advantage that the opposition doesn't have the right to reply to.

Why couldn't the Wallabies do the "Adam Goodes/Lewis Jeeta" war dance/spear throwing dance as a response?
To be fair, the All Blacks have been doing the haka since 1905. Its very much part and parcel of the game.

I love the haka, good bit of theatre. I especially liked how the French formed that arrow and walked toward the AB at the world cup final, didn't think it was disrespectful at all, more of a challenge. Then the dicks at the IRB fined the French for doing so ( iirc).
I haven't noticed it previously, but have the AB 's always worn black boots ?

wobbly said:
How much longer are the IRU going to allow the Kiwi's the privilege of trying to intimidate the opposition with the pre kick off Haka?

I have nothing against the Haka per-se just don't understand why they are allowed to do it without the opposition being allowed equal time/opportunity to do what ever they wanted to in the name of some sort of ritual
In some respects I can see what you mean, Wobbly. On the otherhand, perhaps their opposition use it as their own motivator when playing the ABs.

Other nations have a pre-game Haka too. It is about respect and combat, both aspects of rugby that I most enjoy.

Not sure what I would do if I magically became the grand poobah of the IRC.

Yeh Just watch all the "Wannabies" now jump on board

The win over Argentina even got top billing in the sports report on the Today Show this morning normally Super Rugby doesn't even get a mention

Must admit I quite like the Haka, and the ABs is the best of the bunch, although why the IRB (or whatever they're called nowadays) and certain Kiwis get so f'ing sanctimonious about it is beyond me. Perform it in NZ and all well and good if the crowd hushes in expectation, but don't expect anyone else to do the same in their own backyard. IIRC, a few years back the Welsh would only allow the Haka to be performed at the Millennium Stadium if they could respond with their formal national anthem and the ABs decided to do the Haka in the dressing room instead as the Welsh were not showing appropriate respect to the Haka. Sounded pretty petty at the time (by both parties) and still does.

Been some entertaining games so far, although I can't recall a particularly entertaining final, unless you're invested in the outcome, since the 1st edition, and as I was a kid back then it may have just appeared that way.

Blackadder: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought I'd like to.
Blackadder: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the Valleys, terrorizing people with their close-harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the place names. Never ask for directions in Wales, Baldrick. You'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

wobbly said:
There was a move in the 2003 WC when the Ausies wanted a rendition of Walzing Matilda to be sung by John Williamson after the national anthem and before kick off but that was disallowed.
It's not cause it was John Williamson singing it was it? To be fair, the Haka is a traditional Maori war dance and an important cultural aspect of the NZ and All Black heritage. Waltzing Matilda is hardly culturally relevant to Australia or Australian Rugby, it's simply a folk song about a fella pinching a sheep, then topping himself in a lake cause he got caught.

I wouldn't have a problem if there were some form of traditional indigenous war dance performed before Australian sporting matches, I just don't think it would be popular (as is quite obvious from the carry on following the Adam Goodes war dance) as Australia seems to be unwilling to embrace this country's indigenous heritage and celebrate the contribution Indigenous Australians have made to Australian sport.

welly2 said:
To be fair, the All Blacks have been doing the haka since 1905. Its very much part and parcel of the game.
Although in 1973 it was slightly less intimidating

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure you didn't mean to link to this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHS_Mn7nWE

Which Kiwi team are they going to play the one they beat in Australia or the one they never had a chance against in NZ.

Much better outing, Pocock makes a big impact to the side, excellant game, and Fardy played very well too. Slipper probably hard done by in a couple of those scrums with his opposite boring in, still would like Sio back in the starting front row. Izzy still obviously not right, maybe should be dropped altogether as there is no room for passengers against the AB,and Beale is playing better than him at present.
Drew not as fast as he used to be, but still a nice little run. The boys looked pretty tired with 10-15 to go, hopefully will recover in time.

Team of these
25jfvd2.jpg
25jfvd2.jpg
25jfvd2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdhrUKRdKM8

I am on for tonight.......$3.38 in a 2 horse race,,,,,,and one of the horses is known to choke. Great value!

Good luck Wallabies.

Money where my mouth is. Anthony

Looking forward to a great game, hope the wallabies can pull it off. My 9 year old son wants me to wake him up for it, he's more excited about it than me, hasn't shut up about it all week. It'd be great for his first world cup to be a winner, let's see.

AJS2154 said:
Money where my mouth is.
Thats what she said..

Anyway. I shall make the effort to remain awake until kickoff. Seems unlikely as I'm on beer no 5. Unless someone drops in with a bump of amphetamines. Which is even less likely.

In any event, I cant muster enough hate to be truly be disappointed on the off chance we loose to NZ. If it were England, France or the ******* Springboks, not a problem.

My favorite Haka.

**** tangling with Tana Umaga and Jonah Lomu at once. Lomu was a ******* smashing machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GpTsPNwwms&list=FLTkYqb-CBW3CKknLr-SvEHA&index=155

Latest posts

Back