Rugby World Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Scotland was robbed.
Don't agree ( naturally)
5 tries to 3, with 2 of the 3 to Scotland due to poor Aussie play ( intercept/chargedown). Scotland played very tenaciously, Australia threw their game plan out the window and Sio struggled in the scrums. Pocock was missed sorely, and without him we're stuffed.
I hope Joubert gets no hand in the final, some terrible reffing, but as always mistakes were made to both sides.
Another performance like that against Argentina and we're out.

wide eyed and legless said:
Scotland was robbed.
If you mean the final act, per the rules it was a penalty unless Phipps played the ball, which is debatable at best. Even if he had played the ball, if the ref adjudged the Scottish player to be ‘loitering’, then it’s still a penalty. If anything they robbed themselves when they decided not to go to the front of the final lineout and then stuffed up the throw.

For me the real shocker was the yellow card to Maitland for a deliberate knock-on, but that’s the gamble you take when you try to intercept a pass and it doesn’t come off.

Makes for an interesting semi-final against the Pumas who seem to be firing on all cylinders

Phipps touching the ball is irrelevant, he needs to actually play the ball to put the player onside, and if the offside player is judged to be 'loitering' (which per the law simply means remaining offside) then its an automatic penalty whether Phipps played at the ball or not. Personally I thought at the time it was the right call and still do.

Don't really understand why he ran. He's way to arrogant to think he made a mistake and the supposed bottle throwing from the crowd seems to have been missed by all the media there. Not shaking hands with the players and having a quiet word with Laidlaw is really poor form

Did enjoy some of the comments in the UK websites. One pearler was ' I think the yellow card for hand ball was a bit harsh'

Terrible display by Ireland yesterday, Argentina were all over us. I did wince a little as Rob Kearney was having his finger re-located!

If South African and Australia make the final and Australia wins would South African referee Craig Joubert be the reason they lost by putting Australia back in the finals.

Well that's what Phipps tried to do, play on, Welsh couldn't have been offside as the ball didn't come off a Scottish knock on as the ref thought,it has cost Scotland dearly. Shouldn't happen at world cup level.

And "If" Foley" had slotted he first three attempts at penalty/conversion consistent with his kicking performance to date Scotland most likely wouldn't have been in the game.

And as for the yellow card as BD stated that's the risk associated with an intercept - if you don't take it cleanly and the ball is knocked down "you are in the wrong" full stop!!! Some might not like the rule but it's the rule

Calm down Wide Eyed........the ABs are on track, mate. No need to cheer for every team other than Australia. You will wear yourself out mate. it's Ok.... Let it happen.

Bit more than on track after that display against France. Reminded me of the 1984 Wallabies as they mesmerized their way around the Home Nations. Just so fast, precise and relentless.

wynnum1 said:
If South African and Australia make the final and Australia wins would South African referee Craig Joubert be the reason they lost by putting Australia back in the finals.
That is an interesting comment, although RSA is out. For me, that penalty we received against Scotland was a shocker.....scrum at worst. We were very lucky at that moment.

Let's see what happens tonight. The way the ABs played last night against RSA was hardly convincing......they finally ran up against good opposition. 2 points is a narrow margin, and in the final that margin could be enough to bring on the famous Kiwi choke.

The ABs in the first half gave away alot of penalties, but the springboks didn't look like scoring at any stage, and were only in the game because of AB indiscipline. The ABs stepped up a bit with sonny bill and barrett on the field. Few reports about McCaw elbowing, but nothing in it.
Good to see pocock and izzy back on tonight, the Pumas aren't going to be easy.

Yes, agree with your match summary seamad. McCaw will be fine, not sure why they worry about reporting that sort of stuff. Maybe to keep the public involved via the theatre it creates.

The Pumas will be tough, but if we can't roll them, we would have zero chance against the ABs. Got to beat the best to win, right?

I don't understand how the McCaw incident has blown out to what it is now. I assume it's the bored media trying to bring some more interest in before the final.

Hopefully the wallabies will be there after a good win in the morning.

How much longer are the IRU going to allow the Kiwi's the privilege of trying to intimidate the opposition with the pre kick off Haka?

I have nothing against the Haka per-se just don't understand why they are allowed to do it without the opposition being allowed equal time/opportunity to do what ever they wanted to in the name of some sort of ritual

There was a move in the 2003 WC when the Ausies wanted a rendition of Walzing Matilda to be sung by John Williamson after the national anthem and before kick off but that was disallowed.

Whilst it may be some sort of Maori ritual/war dance showing defiance to the advancing enemy the New Zealand National Team is not a "Maori team" and yes it could be said that the "current teams" have adopted it as their theme but that still doesn't get away from the fact that they (the Kiwis) are allowed to try and take some sort of advantage that the opposition doesn't have the right to reply to.

Why couldn't the Wallabies do the "Adam Goodes/Lewis Jeeta" war dance/spear throwing dance as a response?

Latest posts

Back