Rugby World Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
Great win over the Poms this morning, Wobblies starting to string things together nicely, still plenty of room for improvement though. Highlight of the game had to be the last ( or 2nd last ? , had a big night ) scrum where the Poms got pushed back like they were on rollerskates, awesome scrummaging. The way Foley played can't ever see Cooper pulling on the # 10 any time soon. Looking forward to the Wales game next week.

I watched the game mate. I thought we were good, best we have played in probably the past 12-18 months.

For me, Bernard Foley has made such a difference. The unpredictable, forced passes and eratic behaviour of Cooper is gone, and the backline is a little deeper which helps the approach of experienced players like Giteau and Ashley-Cooper.

The Australian scrum has improved beyond comparison, it is staying formed now, which was a big problem previously. Still not the best scrum in the world, but definitely one that can win the RWC.

If we make it to the final, we could challenge the Kiwis. I wouldn't have said that even 6 months ago.

Good news is we have had some solid, tough pool round footie to test us out over the course of the competition. The Kiwis might be wishing for some of that before this is over.

Stay tuned, boys, this is going to get very interesting very soon.

Anthony

Foley is certainly a calming influence in that he doesn't lose his head ala Cooper. The only rough bit was @ 10 minutes in the second 1/2 after some changes, including phipps, a few stray passes but not entirely his fault. Pocock is at his pilfering best, got his thieving fingers all over the ball at the breakdown, is going to have a tilt at Richies crown this WC. Pocock is a true #7, wasn't sure about Hooper in 7, I rate Liam Gill above him in that position ( biased Qlder ) but having that pair on at the same time is working nicely. The tight 5 have improved a lot ( even the subs), lineouts OK, Moore lost the last 2 throws just before being replaced.
Watched the Cherry Blossoms win over Somoa, Eddie has them playing really well, the first 1/2 was great to watch.They are even in with a slim chance of making the quarters I think.
The Kiwis have looked pretty ordinary so far, but that doesn't mean much at all.

I'm just glad the poms are knocked out of their own RWC during the pool stage. First time that has happened ever.

I thought none of the Wallabies squad was good enough to play for England?
From what I saw, I think that should have read none of them are mad enough to play for England.

Very consistent and applied performance by Australia, didn't need any real flare to roll the old foe. Just kept the heat on all game, did the basics right and when given a chance for points, took them.

Really looked like they concentrated all the way through as a unit defensively and the amount of turnovers that they generated was very pleasing.
The coaches will be rapt with that aspect.

Cheers,
D80

It warmed this old front rowers heart to see a dominate Aussie scrum!

Pocock was a Beast, pilfering the ball, solid in defense. But what really impressed me was the way he controlled the ball at the back of the scrum, allowing the Wallabies to drive forward and destroy the English pack, and he's only been playing number 8 for a short while.

Halfback is still a concern to me. Genia still hasn't found his mojo and made some poor decisions and Phipps played at his usual standard - terrible. For a bloke who plays in a position where the number 1 role is to provide decent service from the breakdown, you'd think he'd know how to pass. Against England his passes were mostly too high or too low, and his pass to neville nobody nearly provided England with a chance to get back in the game. Rob Horne's shoulder injury didn't look good and if he's ruled out of the rest of the tournament, I'd be giving Nick White a call. We've got plenty of wingers in the squad.

But gee it feels good to be a Wallabies supporter at the moment. Haven't felt that way for a long time.

england.jpg

Great to read a rugby post on a beer making site.....combination of my 2 favourite things!!

That was very kind of you to issue a certificate of participation to the Poms, mattress. I was so happy to see the smug sneer of Mike Brown (# 15) turn to worry and then despair. He typifies the issue with that Pommie side.....he plays and behaves as though he is better than everybody else; so much carry on about the periphery and not the game in front of him. Good bye, so long old chap.

Also agree on Phipps as halfback, and I am a Tahs supporter, but not sure Nick White is the answer either. Nick White also has the ability to be destracted by off the ball issues. I am sure he thinks he is refereeing the game and carries on about too many unrelated events. Lets hope Gennia stays uninjured.

Now all we need is for somebody to put the Kiwis under a bit of pressure, and we will see them get the wobbles up.....always one of my favourite things in a RWC.

It does feel good to be a Wallabies supporter!!

See you, Anthony

quote name="NewtownClown" post="1323185" timestamp="1444084099"]Damaged chariot for sale. It swung too low

Stop being cruel and unsympathetic....... maybe just to be kind we could sing a couple of verses just to help the poor Englishmen

Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home,
Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.

I looked over London, and what did I see
Coming for to carry me home?
A scrum of Wallabies coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home from the RWC

Some great defence with 2 in the bin, couple of scrum wins against the feed too, which is always good to see. Hopefully Pocock comes out alright, limping a bit when he went off, really need him on the paddock.
Watched the Samoa V Scotland game, what a cracker.

The quarter finals look like there will be some good games. SA v Wales should be a real contest. I would love to see NZ play their traditional bogey team France (who have knocked them out of several World Cups). Usually I'd say that Australia would smash Scotland but if there is no Falau, Pocock, Hooper and with it being in northern hemisphere conditions, that could prove to be fairly a close game.

Irish will be hard to beat, but with the French you never know what to expect. Should be another good game, and there has been plenty of them this world cup.
Think I've been watching too much rugby, was watching Offsiders and thought the scrolling headline at the bottom of the screen said "Israel Folau shoots dead five Palestinians " was of course Israeli forces....

Hooper only got rubbed for one match so will be available for the game against Scotland. Nothing wrong with McMahan's or McCalman's games.

Good to see that "Cooper" played his best game so far!!!

Wallaby

Well you can throw a thousand cliches and other superlatives at the Wallabies performance in last nights game ( Chris Dutton from Fairfax media seems to be paid for just doing this) but, if the Wallabies do make the World Cup final, then stating that the 8 minutes where they defended their line 13 against 15 without conceding a point was the defining moment is no exaggeration.

The final stats from the game state the Wallabies had 40% of possession, 37% territory and made 126 tackles to Wales 69, plus the Welsh were held up over the line on 4 occasions. It might not have been pretty, it might not have been flashy, but by hell it was gutsy!

A couple of injury worries, but we have back-up players that we can rely upon in every position, something that Australian rugby hasn't had for many years.

Coming out of the "pool of death" in the number 1 position is a fantastic result and we are starting to look the goods.

Well, a good win by Ireland, and now the Kiwis have to bury their bogey team France, which I have every confidence they will, I just can't see them getting beaten by France again.

I can ( well I hope ), love it when the AllBlacks get done by the Frogs. I do back the AB's when they play the Yarpies though, infact I'd back anyone playing them. The Irish #7 could be in a spot of bother for a thrown punch in the 1st minute, plus they lost a few to injuries in the game, should make it a bit easier for the wallabies provided they beat the Scots.We have had some heartbreak against the Irish.

Latest posts

Back