Rubber Washer - Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd get some advice before I commit to a brewday...

I have just put a weldless fitting tap onto my boiler. I bought it from a plumbing place, and essentially just followed their advice.

The upshot is that they reccommended a fitting which included a custom made rubber washer that sits on the inside of the boiler. it's quite a think washer (2-3 mm thick) and makes a great seal on the inside. I'm just worried about the effects of a prolonged boiling temperature on it. I asked the plumbing dudes about this, and they answered with a very authorative "it should be right".

what do you think?

Mongo.

The "should be right" more or less answers the question. That said a couple of those red fibre tap washers will make it a no-brainer.

There's always a small chance some form of flavour taint could come from the rubber.

Warren -

Had one for years , no problem

Batz

I have been using one on the inside of my kettle and hlt for about a year with no noticeable problems.

great.

Thanks very much for that. I wasn't even thinking about off-flavours. I was just worried about degrading and leaking at some point.

Bring on Friday!

Hi Mongo,

I guess everthing has a use by date and will degrade in time just keep an eye on it when cleaning up.

Fibre washers didn't work with my weldless set up, it leaked along the thread.

For $2 I bought a square piece of food grade high temp rubber from "Clark rubber" in Adelaide and made my own.

Its a white colour rubber designed not to taint food products and has worked fine, but I expect it will perish at some point and for $2 replacement is not really an issue.

Cheers

BB

Thread tape stops leaking along the thread, can't see how any washer will stop this. Use thread tape in HLT and Kettle with no probs.

Another good cheap alternative. Red Dot, silicone cookware (rated to 200), $8.00 for a useless floppy cake pan, and some creative scissor skills :D

Doogiechap said:
Another good cheap alternative. Red Dot, silicone cookware (rated to 200), $8.00 for a useless floppy cake pan, and some creative scissor skills :D
[post="108237"][/post]​

Exellent :beerbang:

I love the amount of info passed on within these topics

Batz

Another good cheap alternative. Red Dot, silicone cookware (rated to 200), $8.00 for a useless floppy cake pan, and some creative scissor skills

Great idea. thanks Doogiechap.

Just one question - Where do you get Red Dot silicone cookware?

Is it at Big W, Woolies etc?

Jez

Red Dot :p
OK I'm from the West and I'm unsure if you 'Eastern Staters' have Red Dot over your side of the country. I have seen this sort of cookware sold at all sorts of 'cheap shops' like Crazy Clarks, Gone Bazzar, Makro probably do them as well.

i have seen a few '2 dollar' type shops that have them. golo and the likes.
you can get them from kmart too but you pay alot more for them. catering stores should have them.

Woolies, Big W, etc are now selling stuff like that. Though at about 12 bucks each (or thereabouts) it may pay to look at the cheap shops.

To all you people in Perth, how is east Africa these days? (TIC) :p

Steve

Latest posts

Back