Rs Looking Tomato Plants...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosko11

Reaction score
Well, I thought my tomatoes have been looking the goods and couldn't wait for the monster crop. They've had their problems, namely white fly and fungus/bacteria which i've been treating with eco oil, pyrethrum and tomato dust. But in the last few days they've really started to turn their toes, namely lots of yellowing leaves. The hot weather seems to have knocked some of the more exposed fruit which seem to have developed light brown soft spots, but I wouldn't have expected the leaves to really start to die off.

Anyone with any ideas on what the problem might be? I've attached some photos below.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul

IMG_0309.JPG

Some of my plants of the nightshade family (not tomatos) have leaves that look similar due to red spidermite infestation. Not too easy to tell from the pics, but look at the underside carefully and see if there are any tiny red dots.

Just from my experience, once white fly gets into them, there`s not much you can do to save them.
We tried all the nursery solutions, but still lost the lot.
One thing I did learn, DON`T plant a new crop of tomatoes in the same position as last time, they`ll go well for a while, sometimes to flowering stage, and then just start to wither.
The only variety we {try} to grow now are the egg or roma toms. they seem to be a lot hardier.

stagga.

+1
I did 3 years of tomato crops in the same spot and by year 3 they suffered the same problem, withering yellow leaves, lack of fruit, etc. Tried a range of solutions and nothing.

The only variety which made it through was the small cherry/grape ones. Great for salads and snacking.

Now I have pysllids (sp?) on my lilly pillies... can't win !!

Are you growing them in the same spot every year?

If so you may be building up root nematodes.

Nothing you can do to save the plants and the roots are, well, rooted. You'll know when you dig them up as the roots will have lumps all over them.

I had them last year, it was the first summer i was in the new house but previous owners had planted tomatoes in the same spot.

Went thru 28 plants and maybe 4 actually gave a decent crop of tomatoes. Most grew to maybe 60-70cm tall and then slowly died off.

I have pumpkins and corn growing there this year and during the winter covered the soil in plastic to destroy all growth.

My tomatoes in a different spot and nearly as tall as me and have a bumper crop. Same varieties.

Nah, first year for tomatoes in that spot. Prior to that it was just a slab of concrete. The plants are actually 6ft and covered in fruit so I really don't want to lose them especially seeing they managed to get this far.

And yeah those white flys are friggin annoying! You can manage to knock their numbers, but a week later they're back in anger. But now it's the zuchs that are feeling their anger more than the toms which I need to sort out.

I'm starting to wonder whether the issue maybe deficiency related, but what??

Also, is there a better miticide/fungicide than tomato dust? I hate applying the stuff and would rather something I can spray on.
Cheers,
Paul

There is a product out there called Natrasoap, which works well on most insects, I use it to keep control of thrip. Its the by product of bio-diesel production! Anyway, its potassium-chloride based soap that you mix up and spray onto the bugs. You can just use a mix of dishwashing soap, does the same thing, but thats sodium-chloride based soap and "could" result in a sodium build up in your soil. Potassium is usually short in the soil, so the natrasoap should be good. Problem is, for a by-product, its pricey :(

It could be a lack of magnesium sulphate. Tomatoes tend to lack that so the leaves go yellow and look like they're dying. Try some epsom salts (not in your beer though, it's a laxative)

My toms arent looking too good either. Yellowing/browning and curling leaves. First year since we moved in last December. Im going to try some seasol? They are fruiting - just. Theres eight plants in total. Some are fine but others look like they are going to cark it. Never seen anything like it in the years of growing toms.
Cheers
Steve

Looks like any of the different wilts could be the cause. Verticillium and Fusarium wilt are the most common. Not much you can do to stop it and the disease stays in the soil for years. Grafted tomatoes if grafted onto a more resistant and vigorous rootstock should do better, but they are expensive - I buy mine from the nearly dead section at the local kmart for less than a dollar each. If it is wilt, the plant will continue to die no matter what you do.

That suggested website should help give some ideas.

Latest posts

Back