Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutdrinker

Reaction score
I read Ross's thread & recipe and it sounds good, certainly worth a go anyway..

I've only recently starting drinking Little Creatures Pale Ale and James Squires Golden Ale and enjoy them both. I find the fruity hop aroma makes a very refreshing lighter ale and wouldnt mind brewing something similar.

This is where Ross's brew comes in. How does it compare in regard to its hop aroma?Is Nelson Sauvin quite floral/fruity?

I am planning to give Ross's recipe a go anyway - maybe in a half batch to try it. Can Ross or anybody else share some info on Nelson Sauvin as I hadnt heard of it before Ross's recipe.

Cheers,
Stout.

A great hop,

I brewed this exact beer 10 days ago and it smells fantastic. The name for these hops comes from the fact they give of a slight sauvignon blanc aroma. Very nice smelling. The mash hopping and steeping at the end of the boil gave this a wonderfull smell. They are also reasonably bitter.

Mine has been in the primary for 10 days and im bottling on saturday but it smells and tastes wonderfull.

P.S: a great example of these hops is Knappstein Reserve Lager

My 2c

I have made this 4 times now - the first being to the recipe (including mash hopping). All subsequent variations have saved the Nelson later and later through the boil.

In the last iteration I used some Centennial as a bittering hop and saved ALL the Nelson for late hops and Aroma hops.

IMHO it isnt the same fruitiness that you would get in a LCPA - but the stonefruit flavours and grapeyness (sp?) makes this hop unique.

Am seriously considering making up a Hopback to pump even more flavour in.

RM

To get an idea what Nelson Sauvin hops are like pick yourself up some Knapstein Lager. It uses Nelson Sauvin extensively.

Stoutdrinker,

The hops are totally unique, giving a real grapey aroma/flavour - the summer ale recipe was my first use of these hops & despite the general consensus at the time to use sparingly, this ale turned out to be one of the most popular brews I've ever made.
I've got one in primary as we speak, with the hops all moved to later additions with a little cascade & ahtanum for added depth. Whether it'll better the original, only time will tell.

cheers Ross

I thoroughly enjoyed the one I made a couple of months ago....definately recommend giving it a go.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys for the feedback.

One more question for Ross though re hop flowers. I've only ever used pellets so is there anything different or tricky to watch out for when using flowers?

I'm guessing flowers are more aromatic than pellets but how do they go in your boil compared to pellets which break up instantly. Is it best to use a hop sock?

Cheers.

There are a few differences. Plugs and flowers have lower utilisation than pellets, with 10% being the normal figure. They also soak up more wort so it's probably best to allow for a couple of litres more losses in the kettle than you normally get with pellets. They can also block outlets more than pellets, but it all depends on your system. If you want to use a hop sock make sure there's plenty of room for them to expand. I've never had many problems using them though.

They always seem more special than pellets and I've tended to use them more for later additions, but personally I don't really think they are really any more aromatic. YMMV.

Nelson Sauvin is a very interesting hop, with a flavour and aroma that lots of non-beer drinkers seem to really enjoy. (Beer drinkers too. :D )

Thanks guys for the feedback.

One more question for Ross though re hop flowers. I've only ever used pellets so is there anything different or tricky to watch out for when using flowers?

I'm guessing flowers are more aromatic than pellets but how do they go in your boil compared to pellets which break up instantly. Is it best to use a hop sock?

Cheers.

Stuster is right on the money with his answer. If you don't have a hopsock/bag & are worried about blocked pipes, just make the brew with NS pellets. Fresh pellets are every bit as good, but like Stuster I tend to use flowers when I have them available, there's just something about seeing the actual hop floating there rather than a powder, which is hard to beat...

Cheers Ross

I tried a friends 10 day old New Zealand (Nelson Sauvin) Hopburst Pale Ale yesterday, and it was incredible! What a delightful hop.

Is the Knappstein Reserve Lager available in shops in Oz? Don't remember seeing it around, though admittedly I haven't looked for it.

I tried a friends 10 day old New Zealand (Nelson Sauvin) Hopburst Pale Ale yesterday, and it was incredible! What a delightful hop.

Is the Knappstein Reserve Lager available in shops in Oz? Don't remember seeing it around, though admittedly I haven't looked for it.

You'll need to look in somewhere like Dan Murphy's or Vintage Cellars, or a local more independant bottle store, Liquorland and BWS don't seem to stock it as part of their enourmous range of beers :)

It is around. THere was something about it apparently soon to be available only for cafes and restaurants but I haven't seen any update on that...

Have done this one twice now with the third just bottled. :beerbang:
It is my favourite Summer Ale & many thanks Rossco, it's an excellent drop & much sampled as you may recall from my past thursday visits. :super:

:beer:

also i have the j1 in the recipe database which iuse the ns hop so look it it up its a lager and use in the 2005 xmas case so do a search to get the feed back

Dairymaid,

Ross' recipe is in the recipe database. Click on recipes at the top of this page just to the left of the big glass and hops. ;) Ross' recipe (Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale) is about halfway down. There are lots of other recipes there that would be good summer drinking too. :super:

Thanks guys, lol, you made that easy for me,
not quite into AG brewing yet, but shall keep it in mind

I am extra pleased to have a recipe for Nelson Sauvin,
as we grow them in the hop gardens I work in over the
summer, they are a really nice plant to work with, and they
have been specially developed by the local hop research
to grown in the Nelson area,
Keep buying the hops - keeps the locals in casual work over the summer!

cheers/beers
Dairymaid

Back