Rosemary In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just had some rosemary bread. Seriously loved it! I can't stop thinking about rosemary. :D

Why not Rosemary spice in beer? I like Rosemary... live Rosemary Bread... Beer and Bread.... Rosemary Spiced Beer sounds perfect! Okay, maybe not to much, but some would be great.

Now I need the perfect recipe. I've seen some brews for a Rosemary IPA. Any help would be great. I have some fresh rosemary waiting for me in my garden.

Thanks for you for your help!

Tim

I just had some rosemary bread. Seriously loved it! I can't stop thinking about rosemary. :D

Why not Rosemary spice in beer? I like Rosemary... live Rosemary Bread... Beer and Bread.... Rosemary Spiced Beer sounds perfect! Okay, maybe not to much, but some would be great.

Now I need the perfect recipe. I've seen some brews for a Rosemary IPA. Any help would be great. I have some fresh rosemary waiting for me in my garden.

Thanks for you for your help!

Tim

Maybe see if a hop has a spiciness that is equivalent to rosemary?

I dread to say it (I'll start a flame war here) but POR hops might be the go, even though I hate them myself.

Or pacific hallertauer.

Goomba

search for 'herbs', 'gruit' and funnily enough 'rosemary'. it will bring up the appropriate threads.

i looooooove rosemary, use it in lots of stuff.
i'd recomend brewing a blandish pale ale, and putting a small sprig into a stubby while it primes. should give you an idea of what you could do with it and if you like the flavour without ruining a batch if you hate it.

Maybe see if a hop has a spiciness that is equivalent to rosemary?
rosemary is extremely distinctive, i doubt you'd be able to replicate it in a hop.

search for 'herbs', 'gruit' and funnily enough 'rosemary'. it will bring up the appropriate threads.
Isn't it usually marsh (or wild) rosemary that is spoken about in gruits? Despite the name the plants are entirely dissimilar.

Mike's plan sounds like a goer to give you an idea how it will work.

I reckon it would be alright.

I also reckon you could make beer with a few eucalyptist leaves and a wattle flower chucked in.

Malcolm Douglas made bush tea using all sorts of stuff.

I'd drink it.

a while back a guy at work gave me a bottle of Rosemary Lager he'd brewed, he said he 'threw in a small sprig into each (750ml) bottle,
even then it was pretty overpowering, I'd go with MikE's suggestion too, maybe vary and note the added amounts over a few bottles?

Isn't it usually marsh (or wild) rosemary that is spoken about in gruits? Despite the name the plants are entirely dissimilar.

Mike's plan sounds like a goer to give you an idea how it will work.
some of the stuff is differant (esp in gruit as you said). but the threads that the search will bring up discusses using actual rosemary. jovial monk was into herbs etc

Rosemary...yeah now ya talkin'
Got me interested!
Wondering whether it would go with a robust porter or a stout?
The stronger ale should be able to "carry" the rosemary, yes/no?
Ahh, more ideas, more research. :rolleyes:

If it was the brew in Oz and James Drink to Britain it was heather that they made beer from.

Rosemary and smoked hocks go well together.....

How about a smoked beer with rosemary?

And yes, it was from the Oz and James show so heather it was.

Rosemary has no part in beer. :icon_vomit:

Rosemary was used in beer in europe for centuries ... alongside millions of other herbs of course.

But not always in the boil.

There was an alewive in London in the 14th C. who was prosecuted for serving short measures, apparently people didn't notice the false bottoms in her quart pots because of the rosemary sprinkled on top.

Perhaps the OP could try infusing some fresh rosemary in a pale beer first and see how it tastes?

Personally I think it might work nicely with a sweet honey beer.

Every year my club has a fun competition called BURRP - brewing under really ridiculous parameters. The entries are judged by our wives or anyone else outside of the club who doesn't know anything about beer. The general idea is to make something that non-beer drinkers would like. Two years ago, the ridiculous parameter was rosemary.

I paired up with another guy from our club and we brewed a rosemary ale on my system. He wanted to see how my system worked and this was the perfect excuse. We ended up winning the BURRP competition. Ironically, neither one of us liked that beer.

This is from memory as I didn't take notes for this batch (it was a 20l batch). The grist was about 15% dark crystal with the balance being ordinary pale 2-row. Our OG was in the 1.060's, bittered to approx 20 IBU from a single bittering addition. Yeast was wyeast 1968 special london. I believe that we added about 20g of rosemary for the last 5 minutes of the boil with another 40g added at flameout. The wort was allowed to sit for about 5 minutes before it was drained into the fermenter through a counterflow chiller. The judges commented at length about our beer's balance and fresh rosemary aroma.

Be careful with rosemary and hops as they're kind of mutually exclusive. I tasted the other entries and a few people went the hoppy route. They didn't work. Rosemary + malt sweetness works well.

ok
I have made one using rosemary.
I used northern brewer and galaxy then 10 from the end of the boil I added dry orange navel rind about 10 grams and a fist full of fresh rosemary.
Just straight JW Pilsner .

It is nearly finished fermenting.

I could taste the rosemary in the wort....it was not unpleasent.
anyway I will post the final result in about a week....might do a blind test on mates and see what they think...without telling them it has rosemary.

ok
I have made one using rosemary.
I used northern brewer and galaxy then 10 from the end of the boil I added dry orange navel rind about 10 grams and a fist full of fresh rosemary.
Just straight JW Pilsner .

It is nearly finished fermenting.

I could taste the rosemary in the wort....it was not unpleasent.
anyway I will post the final result in about a week....might do a blind test on mates and see what they think...without telling them it has rosemary.

I'm a big fan of Rosemary in Brewing... One thing to note is that Rosemary tastes very different and different times of the year. Floral in Spring, quite resinous and bitter in Autumn...

The best use of Rosemary is in Mead :) This recipe is from the Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Knight Opened (1669)
THE COUNTESS OF BULLINGBROOK'S WHITE METHEGLIN

http://

Take eight Gallons of Conduit-water, and boil it very well; then put as much Honey in it, as will bear an Egge, and stir it well together. Then set it upon the fire, and put in the whites of four Eggs to clarifie it; And as the scum riseth, take it off clean: Then put in a pretty quantity of Rosemary, and let it boil, till it tasteth a little of it: Then with a scummer take out the Rosemary, as fast as you can, and let it boil half a quarter of an hour; put it into earthen pans to cool; next morning put it into a barrel, and put into it a little barm, and an Ounce of Ginger scraped and sliced; And let it stand a Month or six Weeks. Then bottle it up close; you must be sure not to let it stand at all in Brass.

Back