Rogue Juniper Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
I want to make a clone of rogue juniper pale ale, I can probably work out the grain and hops

http://www.rogue.com/beers/juniper-pale-ale.php

(Although I have no idea what Triumph malt is)

The important question is how much Juniper to put in?
Has anyone used juniper in a beer, how much is too much?

Really can't answer you questions, but really interested to hear how it turns out.

From experience, juniper berries are very strong tasting when picked straight off the bush, so I would think a little goes a long way, but haven't seen anywhere you'd get them (not looked either), so not sure if they'd be fresh or dried.

As for the Triumph malt, I think it is a variety of barley, and seems to me that is what is used in distillers malt, but hazy on details in memory.

Love most of the Rogue's I've tried, so keen to hear how you go with this. Good luck.

Juniper in beer? I just shuddered a bit and did a dry wretch. :D

sounds interesting... can't help on your qs, but like Maple interested in the result - love a good gin!!

Yes I seem to remember quite liking that beer despite getting kicked out of the Rogue pub. Good times.

DSC03513.JPG

The Gin flavour is not really predominant in this beer the berries add more of a dryness to the beer. I am also not a fan of Gin having downed half a bottle of the stuff when I was 15, have never drunk it since, but this beer is great, really interesting.

Radical Brewing covers the use of junipers berries and brush in a beer. Ive always wanted to do it, but juniper is a very slow growing plant (hence why a lot of gin now a days doesnt actually have juniper in it).

Have a squiz in RB and it should give you some good ideas. and then once youve perfected the reccipe let us know ;)

Radical Brewing covers the use of junipers berries and brush in a beer. Ive always wanted to do it, but juniper is a very slow growing plant (hence why a lot of gin now a days doesnt actually have juniper in it).

Have a squiz in RB and it should give you some good ideas. and then once youve perfected the reccipe let us know ;)

Anyone that still wants to get some jumper berries, 100g for approx 4 bucks avail from basfoods down victoria st in brunswick. Awesome for middle eastern gorceries too! wall to wall of pulses, spices and anything else you can think of!

I got some, here is my idea for this beer.

Rogue Juniper Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 22/05/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.91 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.30 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
0.10 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 26.0 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (20 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
30.00 gm Juniper (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Pacman (Wyeast Labs #1764) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.87 %
Bitterness: 42.3 IBU
Est Color: 8.7 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.83 L of water at 73.1 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 7.75 L of water at 86.0 C 73.0 C

Looks good, I don't recall even picking much in the rogue beer, nice pale ale but not a fruit beer as such, anyway interested to here how that comes up. I gather 30g is just a small hand full?

Looks good, I don't recall even picking much in the rogue beer, nice pale ale but not a fruit beer as such, anyway interested to here how that comes up. I gather 30g is just a small hand full?

Yeppers! Just using how much is recommended in Radical Brewing for the Finnish juniper beer. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the recipe idea, because Rogue never did answer my emails

Not sure if you'd want to boil them for that long ?
Don't recall the Rogue beer being all that Junipery either, but maybe the other beers I had that night killed my taste buds.
A PM to Asher might be helpful, I've had one his Juniper beer's and it was an interesting beast.

Not sure if you'd want to boil them for that long ?
Don't recall the Rogue beer being all that Junipery either, but maybe the other beers I had that night killed my taste buds.
A PM to Asher might be helpful, I've had one his Juniper beer's and it was an interesting beast.

Just going from whts in radical brewing thats all, it was for a Finnish Sahti i want to juniper to be noticable but not tasting like Gin. (if thats possible.)

I was trying to clone a Rader Blonde. Has a subtle sweet pine aroma and flavour. Tasty beer - on tap at Delirium Cafe Brussels.
Rader_Blonde.JPG
They use Juniper Essence I think.
Mine had Dried Juniper Berries 2g/Litre added at flame out.

Nice pine notes - Not like gin - Not as sweet as Rader

I need to get IBS to import this stuff

Anyone that still wants to get some jumper berries, 100g for approx 4 bucks avail from basfoods down victoria st in brunswick. Awesome for middle eastern gorceries too! wall to wall of pulses, spices and anything else you can think of!

I got some, here is my idea for this beer.

Rogue Juniper Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 22/05/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.91 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.30 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
0.10 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 26.0 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (20 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
30.00 gm Juniper (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Pacman (Wyeast Labs #1764) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.87 %
Bitterness: 42.3 IBU
Est Color: 8.7 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.83 L of water at 73.1 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 7.75 L of water at 86.0 C 73.0 C

Did you ever get around to brewing this one, how did it go? I tasted Juniper berries for the first time yeasterday and we are planning a brew session for next weekened with them.

QldKev

By themselves? :icon_vomit:

They're great in gin, kangaroo pies, and probably a few other things, but not alone.

lol I had them 'yeasterday' been brewing too long

I didn't mind them, was sooo many flavours coming out of them. I couldn't sit there and eat many of them but so many ideas for them. I'm thinking maybe a Northern Brown with a hint of them; it would have to be a good one like the Little Creature Single Batch version was.

QldKev

Did you ever get around to brewing this one, how did it go? I tasted Juniper berries for the first time yeasterday and we are planning a brew session for next weekened with them.

QldKev

No i haven't but im kinda scared to. There is a phenolic i pickup in some terrible HB beers that makes me think of juniper and im worried i'll end up with 20L of the stuff. :p

Latest posts

Back