Robo malt pipe in 50l keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just discovered that a mate's malt pipe from his gen 1 robo brew fits perfectly into my 50l keggle which has a narrowish opening. I'm thinking this would be pretty handy for my current gas biab setup especially if trying to do a bigger batch with a sparge. It could also be good for converting to electric recirc.

Has anyone done this, or found an alternative?

I have seen replacement malt pipes for $70, but they are the newer ones so not sure if they fit.

50 L 1 V with Big W 19 L pot springs to mind

Throw up some pics love to see it

Have heard that big w pot doesn't hold enough grain. I use the lid from mine as the lid for the keggle so the pot won't fit

Last edited:
Have heard that big w pot doesn't hold enough grain. I use the lid from mine as the lid for the keggle so the pot won't fit

Correct, Big W pot won't fit. I got mine made to suit out of ss sheet metal, though I'm not overly happy with it as it is a bit flimsy.

Interested in a bit more info re measurements, pics, etc. if you care to share.

I recirc so may be different but my Big W pot fits nicely into my 50 L keggle
I cut extra bits out to allow bolts to come through & rest on top but ended using
a handle davit system to hoist malt pipe out
I recon I could get 6 kg of grain in there but have only done 5 kg no worries

Attachments

• IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 251
received_10155523012304985.jpeg
received_10155523013704985.jpeg

Not the best pictures but hopefully shows the snug fit. Malt pipe comes right up to the top of the keggle. Keg King say they can hold up to 8 kg, but I reckon you could get a bit more in there in a bag.

I recirc so may be different but my Big W pot fits nicely into my 50 L keggle
I cut extra bits out to allow bolts to come through & rest on top but ended using
a handle davit system to hoist malt pipe out
I recon I could get 6 kg of grain in there but have only done 5 kg no worries
Awesome looking rig there rude. I think I have the recirculation bug. Have to get a system up and running.

Would using a malt pipe like this make biab less efficient if not recirculating?

Thanks gents, greatly appreciated.

Rude, my issue with the pot is that I have kept the whole top, may rethink after seeing yours.

Tony

I have done the same as rude, using the 19l. I have done 6kg but it was a very tight fit. I use a little brown pump for recirculating, it plugs straight into my laptop charger.

View attachment 108291 View attachment 108292
Not the best pictures but hopefully shows the snug fit. Malt pipe comes right up to the top of the keggle. Keg King say they can hold up to 8 kg, but I reckon you could get a bit more in there in a bag.

Looks like youre keggle is taller with less diametre
The malt pipe looks great though & holds more grain than mine
I would like a bigger malt pipe so there isnt much dia difference from the keg fitting in snuggly
When I cut my top out of keggle I found a grinding disc better than a cutting disc
the gaurd rested against the inside of handles on keg
Once I ground through around I went with a nice circle
Highly recomend recirc but in the end of the day you can still make good beer however

Agreed. I have read that the newer robo brew malt pipes are wider and if they still fit in my keggle I think will pick one up. Keg King expect they will have them in stock in November.

Latest posts

Back