Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

1v recirc - return arm suggestions

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Chap, 6/1/19.

1. Chap

Posted 6/1/19
    Hi all

I’m in the process of building a recirc system for my BIAB setup. I have a 40L crown urn and pump, will be making a malt pipe, waiting on a helix to come back into stock from keg king, and will be replacing the tap with a 1/2” ball valve and using cam lock fittings on the pump and tubing. My next conundrum is with the return.

I’m contemplating adding another ball valve at the top of the urn to throttle the return speed from the top rather than the bottom, and am unsure the best return method. I’ve seen some setups with a sprinkler type return, others with a ring and drip, and some with just some tubing straight back to the malt pipe. Wondering what others here have done and why? Pics of your system are also appreciated.

Cheers
    Chap

2. bbqzookeeper

Posted 6/1/19
    I use the malt pipe from one of the 1V kits (robobrew/guten). I called up Keg King and just ordered the part. It fits in my Crown Urn 40L and obviously, I didn't have the skill/patience to make one.

I have the ball valve coming directly off my magnetic pump, but I don't think that it matters. It might mean less leaning down if you have it higher?

Mine goes straight into the malt pipe, so would be keen on seeing others pictures too.

This looks great, but somewhat costly:
    https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/re-circulation-manifold-for-infussion-mash-tuns

Chap likes this.
  3. Meddo

Posted 6/1/19
    I use the ss brewtech sparge manifold as mentioned above. It works pretty well, tends to bury itself in the top of the grain bed a bit from pressure from the feed hose, don't think it makes much difference though. Also it's a bit of an awkward size as the hose barb is 3/8".

Have also in the past built and used a ghetto approximation of the above made of silicone tube with holes punched in it, and a simple tube and float - didn't really like the latter though as it was gouging the top of the grain bed. Not sold on sprayer types, it's not much work to come up with a solution that returns without aerating the wort so might as well just do it that way in my opinion.

I'd suggest having your valve as high as possible, minor issue but I prefer if possible not to have fluids perched in the pipework as it would above a low valve.

[​IMG]

4. rude

Posted 6/1/19
    Sounds good Chap a few pics would be nice as you go
    Especially of your malt pipe
    Cheers Rude

Chap likes this.
  5. billygoat

Posted 6/1/19
    If you have a top perf screen in the malt pipe, a silicon hose returning the wort on top of that will be fine.