Roasting cacao nibs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tateg

Reaction score
Hi all
Are there any hard and fast rules for roasting crushed cacao nibs in the oven?
Once toasted can they go strait into the secondary or do they need a soak in vodka.
Also how long to dry nib? Is three days enough 100g in a 16lt batch

Cheers
Tate

tateg said:
Hi all
Are there any hard and fast rules for roasting crushed cacao nibs in the oven?
Once toasted can they go strait into the secondary or do they need a soak in vodka.
Also how long to dry nib? Is three days enough 100g in a 16lt batch
Cheers
Tate
I've only had one attempt at adding cacao nibs to a brew. The following website was my major reference, (where's the link function gone?)
http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/15/chocolatizing-your-beer/
Basically I roasted at about 180C for about 15mins before I soaked them in vodka, apparently the vodka helps to transfer the flavour.
I added the nibs for about a week, but this website suggests about 2/3 days

I never roasted mine, but I am a big fan of the vodka soak.

Only hard and fast rules are to roast till aromatic and don't burn.
Vodka or dry is up to you.
Time is dependent on taste. Taste after 3 days - if not strong enough, leave longer

Thanks Guys
I spent the best part of the last 2 nights looking for the above info.
I think i might try roasting @150 for 10min, then giving them a soak.

If you roast them too much they become quite bitter as I found out :(

Sorry for going slightly off-topic but I was wondering where people getting their cacao nibs from? Is there a good online supplier?

I am in Melbourne by the way.

Essential Ingredient in Prahran has 250g for $17, that's not too bad
I paid $10 for 100g at my local Go Vita :(

Thanks guys. I think I might go get some from Replenish as it's a bit closer to me.

Thinking about doing a mini bulk buy. Anyone interested? We may be able to get them down as low as $15/kilo (if that supplier gets back to me), although more likely around $25/kilo.

Mardoo said:
Thinking about doing a mini bulk buy. Anyone interested? We may be able to get them down as low as $15/kilo (if that supplier gets back to me), although more likely around $25/kilo.
I'd probably be interested in a kilo. Let me know how you go.

Easiest way is to lay them out on some alfoil and roast at 180°c for 10 minutes then fold up the foil with out touching the nibs keeping a opening at one end of the foil and then tip straight into the fermenter. There is no need for soaking.

Latest posts

Back