Cacao Nibs - end of boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NzBrewerMatt

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm keen to hear your experience from those of you who have used cacao nibs at the end of the boil. What flavours did you get, any flavours you didn't want to get etc.

I have some raw cacao nibs that I am going to roast tonight before brewing. Because I am putting the cacao nibs at the end of boil, I assume I don't need to soak these in vodka as the water is boiling?

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Not used in the boil and I would assume that boiling would alter the flavour profile, most people seem to soak in vodka (I prefer spiced rum) and add just a couple days before packaging..

Will be interested to see what others say..

Yeah I've read a lot online about people doing that. I've talked to a friend that is a professional brewer and he suggested to add them in at the end of the boil to get the most flavour out of them.

I've talked to a friend that is a professional brewer and he suggested to add them in at the end of the boil to get the most flavour out of them.

Well it's hard to ignore advice like that, the best thing to do is to do it one way and then next time try the other, see what you think works best! :)

I've yet to use Cacao nibs (though on the to do list) but I have added raw organic Cacao powder at the end of the boil and get a lot of raw chocolate flavour, personally I think the end of boil would draw more flavour out. Also, if it's right at the end of the boil you wouldn't need to sanitize the nibs I'd think.

Back