Riwaka / Galaxy IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPbrew

Reaction score
I am keen to do a really tropical IPA using Riwaka and Galaxy. I would like a bit of wheat to the grain bill also. I'm a BIAB'er does anyone have any good recipe ideas using the above. Cheers

Keep it simple mate.

82% Pale Malt
10% Wheat
8% Carapils

target 1060ish gravity

Mashed at 64c for 90mins to finish gravity of 1008 using US05, BRY97 or any clean ale yeast strain.

The wheat and carapils will hold some body for mouthfeel along with hop resin.

Boil for 60mins

Any bittering hop like Magnum, Columbus, Chinook to your desired IBU. I like 35 for a good bitterness.

A 30min addtion of Rawika to 15ibu.

Then 2 ounces each of the hops types whirlpooled for 10mins = 112g total ( based on a 20L batch )

Ferment at 19c and when krausen drops add 3 ounces each of the hops for a few days before cold crashing.

Just don't use Galaxy for bittering, it gains a unique taste that does eventually fade but isn't desirable. I'd suggest cascade as it pairs well.

Cheers fellas, my first all grain wasn't as hoppy as I hoped. It was a Pale Ale using only El Dorado. Also after reading (probably too much) I sparged in a separate pot with about 4L and it's a very dark pale ale. Darker than I would expect from a Pale ale. I also changed quite a few too many things at one time, again read that it's not the best thing to do. I used two different yeasts as my LHBS ran out of White Labs so had to use a Wyeast pack as well. Also carbed with Dad rather than Coopers drops (dunno if they have them in the states). And it turned with not much head either. Have to pour straight in rather than tilt glass.

Anyway I'm getting off topic. Just want to do a good flavoursome IPA that I would be stoked to hand out to my mates. I love tropical IPA's so that's what I would like in the end.

Also convinced the Mrs to purchase a Kegerator so if this next batch is on point, then it's extra brownie points in that Department. I feel like this is going to be a long thread hahaha. Thanks Legends

Back