Riwaka (d Saaz) Supplier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
1: Yob
2: Tiprya
3: Guysmiley54
4: Big Nath
5: Bullsneck
6: Samward
7: Wolfman
8: Batz
9: donburke
10: stillinrehab

Reserve list (capped to #5 for now)
1. krausenhaus
2: CM2
3: Mas

Here you go Mas, Ive added you to the reserve list

Yob
Hi Yob, Been a bit of a learning process finding page to add name to, but all good. So excited to see your reply this morning!! Thanks mate :icon_cheers:

1. krausenhaus
4: Salt

Can you please add me to the reserve list to.
Would love to try and replicate some Murrays Punch and Judys

Thanks

reserve reserve list?

for those lucky enough to get some, it goes great with centennial and simcoe.

1. krausenhaus
4: Salt
5: Steve M

It's capped here for the moment, if the amount I receive is greater than what I have planned for here (It is Possible) I will then open it up to further people when the figure is known.

:icon_cheers:

Apologies for the delay, just off the phone and they are available for pickup, however, I'm shooting off to see the old man interstate, with any luck I will get it monday morning on my return, if not, monday night. Hopefully to you lot by friday

Just thought I'd update with all the information.

Cheers

Just quickly, Ive paid for the Hops, should be delivered to work tmoz, but I may have to head interstate again (only got back yesterday)... it's all happening in Tassie and not in a good way...

Which ever way it goes down there I will be back later in the week and we will split the goodies then.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but family first as Im sure you will understand.

Yob

Cheers for the update Yob.
Hopefully whatever is going down sorts itself in the best way possible soon.
Family first for sure :beer:

Family first Yob, take your time. I have a cafe in Cambridge, drop in if you're in the area and I'll shout you a coffee :)

Yep, no rush Yob.

Hope everything goes well.

Right then you lot.. I've got in my hands 1.5kg of 2012 Riwaka hops, by my rekoning, that means I can break it up to 100g lots to all 15 who have expressed interest previously.

Price will be $10 + postage to your area (I will have to get prices from the PO for this, I've no idea) express post, post pak, your choice, please let me know preference when you reply.

ed: Peeps that live close and want to pick-up, fine also :icon_cheers:

I will PM details shortly to those involved, when you reply with addresses I will get the quote from the PO for a Grand Total.

Yob

Happy Australia day!! :icon_drunk:

If any one is an Epic fan and interested this is the Recipe for Mash Up from Kelly Ryan himself: (mainly for those that scored the goods!)

Here is the Mash Up recipe modified for a 20 litre batch.

[SIZE=1em]Mash Up - 20 litre[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]Based on 80% Brewhouse Efficiency and 20 litres final volume.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Approximately 10% evaporation in the boil. Kettle up volume of 22 litres.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]OG[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 1.058[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]FG[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 1.012[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]AbV[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 6.0%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Salt addition[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 3 g CaCl[/SIZE][SIZE=1em]2[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]to mashing water.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Liquor:Grist ratio[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 2.6:1 (13 litres)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Grain bill[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 3.35 kg Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter Pale Ale malt and 1.65 kg Gladfield Ale malt (in lieu of Gladfield Ale malt, Vienna or Munich will give a similar character, though will make the finished wort slightly darker).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Mash temperature[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 67°C. If milled grains at 20°C, then strike temperature will be around 76°C.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Boil time[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- 75 minutes (though can be reduced to 60 minutes depending on the evaporation rate of your system).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Hop additions[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- Based on 35% utilisation for 1st addition (bittering), 23% utilisation for second addition (flavour) and 5% utilisation for flame out/whirlpool addition (aroma) and a 75 minute boil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Bittering (75 min boil) - Southern Cross 14.8% - 5 g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Flavour (20 min boil) - Southern Cross 14.8% - 4 g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- NZ Cascade 9.1% - 9 g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- Riwaka 5.6% - 15 g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Aroma (0 min boil) - Southern Cross 14.8% - 10 g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- NZ Cascade 9.1% - 20 g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- Riwaka 5.6% - 7 g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Add copper finings (for example, 1 g Koppafloc) 10 minutes before boil end.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Yeast[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- Wyeast 1272 - American Ale Yeast II[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1em]Dry hopping regime[/SIZE] [SIZE=1em]- Dry hop at approximate PG of 1.015 - 1.020 with:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- 30 g Southern Cross[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- 20 g NZ Cascade[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1em]- 15 g Riwaka[/SIZE]

My attempt went south due to poor procedures when I went to BIAB. Apparently this is close but not quite cloned at 20ltrs but a good beer from most who made it.

Yob: i may be incorrect, but i THINK the reason that most online suppliers sell in 90gram increments, is the total weight with the padded bag (or whatever its sent in) takes up the remaining 10g, thus, making it very cost efficient in terms of postage costs...

Good on ya for sharing the love though :party:

hi yob, big thanks for the hops,

they work really well in a saison i have made using dingemans pils and wy3711 which i look forward to doing again

ben_sa said:
Yob: i may be incorrect, but i THINK the reason that most online suppliers sell in 90gram increments, is the total weight with the padded bag (or whatever its sent in) takes up the remaining 10g, thus, making it very cost efficient in terms of postage costs...

Good on ya for sharing the love though :party:
Dunno about that mate, was the same cost up to 5kg.. I think mostly it's because 5 x 90 = 1lb... I'm not constrained by this ethos :ph34r:

Yob said:
Dunno about that mate, was the same cost up to 5kg.. I think mostly it's because 5 x 90 = 1lb... I'm not constrained by this ethos :ph34r:

I'll say that about sums it up.

Picked mine up this morning. Cheers Yob.

Thinking of doing a smash with it, with all 100g in the last 10 minutes. Or maybe an american wheat.

What are other people doing with theirs?

still not sure yet... I think Id like to find a commercial beer with it in so I can see what it's like and then judge what else it would pair with... maybe try the Epic listed above if it can be found?

reviews here on RATEBEER

"It says 2011 on the label, I hope it’s not so old. It pours a golden hazy color with medium sized head. The hop aroma is dry, a bit fruity (peach and apricot) and herbaceous, with a sweaty hint in the end. Dry and lean mouthfeel; light malt flavor, with a strong grassy presence; strong bitterness, with soft piney resins and some citrusy fruitiness (oranges mainly).
A good beer, but without the fresh touch."

Sounds like a hint of Simcoe or Centennial may fit the bill.

We should all do a mini swap with the beers we produce :icon_drool2:

also some HINTS here for Malt profile

I'm going to brew with this on the weekend, aiming for an easy to drink wheat beer.

How potent is Riwaka? Should I be usisng a similar amount to say cascade?

Thinking 4.5%, 20g at 20,10,0 and 30g dry hop

50/50 pils/wheat - maybe 30IBU with 2-3% light crystal.

That should be pretty hoppy yeah?

Latest posts

Back