Riwaka (d Saaz) Supplier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did u buy chinese hops based on the blurb? Lol. Call it an experiment and move on?

I loike Tsing Tao. Does that count? :D

Here's the Brewers Coop (NZ) suggestions on substitutes.

Name:Name: New Zealand D Saaz
Grown: New Zealand
Profile: Unique Passionfruit like flavour, more floral aroma than B Saaz
Typical use: Specialty Aroma type
Example:
AA Range: 7 – 8%
Substitute: B Saaz, Pacific Sunrise, Czech Saaz

Anyone used Pacific Sunrise?

But saying Summer Saaz is "nothing like" D Saaz is moronic

D Saaz isn't unique.

Here's the Brewers Coop (NZ) suggestions on substitutes.

Profile: Unique Passionfruit like flavour

Substitute: B Saaz, Pacific Sunrise, Czech Saaz

Who said something moronic? :blink:

Where is Summer Saaz on that sub list? :huh:

Who said something moronic? :blink:

Where is Summer Saaz on that sub list? :huh:

It's an Australian hop they've never heard of. They have nice hops - why would they want Summer Saaz? :rolleyes: No Galaxy there either, which is uniquely passionfruit. I'd say D Saaz isn't actually very passionfruit at all compared to Galaxy.

Both Ross and the Brewers Coop describe both as passionfruit and citrus - although Ross adds "melon", dunno why but then again read the Craftbrewer Kohatu blurb for some creative marketing.

Obviously totally different, even though they both evoke exactly the same analogous fruits. Totally different citrus and passionfruit. Ones that don't taste like citrus and passionfruit.

Summer Saaz is a lame version of D Saaz - just like I originally said. Saying they are nothing like each other when they both use the same descriptor fruits is moronic.

Holy crap I just saw on Craftbrewer that Riwaka were $15 for 90g.

Before they became trendy they were a normal price.

doesnt look like we'll be getting any this year

...send me 60g he wasn't going to use ....

Will be my first time using them.

what did you end up doing with these Manticle? Feedback?

Sorry for the Necro, it was a while ago I know ;)

There still seems to be a shortage of this hop eh?

Shortage is still on and apparently somewhere along the lines an agreement was made that the next season of it (usually March) will be staying entirely in NZ shores. I doubt it though. For one thing money talks and for two if we try and keep it here someone will find a way to smuggle it over to oz or the states anyway and charge a heap for it.
I started brewing too late to have used it properly. Will be nice to try it some day as some good beers use it but awesome hops are around that I haven't touched yet so I would rather make something different at the end of the day and maybe come across the next great beer.

It's an Australian hop they've never heard of. They have nice hops - why would they want Summer Saaz? :rolleyes: No Galaxy there either, which is uniquely passionfruit. I'd say D Saaz isn't actually very passionfruit at all compared to Galaxy.

Both Ross and the Brewers Coop describe both as passionfruit and citrus - although Ross adds "melon", dunno why but then again read the Craftbrewer Kohatu blurb for some creative marketing.

Obviously totally different, even though they both evoke exactly the same analogous fruits. Totally different citrus and passionfruit. Ones that don't taste like citrus and passionfruit.

Summer Saaz is a lame version of D Saaz - just like I originally said. Saying they are nothing like each other when they both use the same descriptor fruits is moronic.
Oh wow now iv'e heard it all :huh:

Pretty sure there'd be lots of folks keen on some Riwaka - myself included.

Yob- I made an epic mayhem tribute.
Turned out nicely. I got a slightly plastic/fake fruit flavour that I get from a few beers hopped with nz hops though.
I'll hunt up the recipe I used tomorrow if you remind me.

Count me in too if there's enough :)

there will be enough, not huge amounts, but enough to go around :)

I'll hunt up the recipe I used tomorrow if you remind me.

Cool man, will do

ed: Just got an email from him saying I wont be able to pick them up until thursday week (17/1/13) as he's flying out somewhere tmoz. <_<

but it is confirmed so more a waiting game than an 'if it happens' game now.

:icon_cheers:

Hey yob, dunno if its too late mate, but if theres some left after everyone before me, id love some!

Back