Ringwood Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for the rousers and beaters:

So if you don't reoxygenate ringwood with a few rousings and beatings at the start of the ferment, do you find the yeast just quits before target FG has been reached?

I remember I brewed with landlord a few years ago and the ferment just completely died in the arse around 3/4ths of the way through.

Kai, it seems to work best with a repitch in my experience. Took a 1075 FES down to 1012 in 2 weeks without so much as a stir. Admittedly I added adjuncts to the primary whilst fermenting.

C&B
TDA

Kai, it seems to work best with a repitch in my experience. Took a 1075 FES down to 1012 in 2 weeks without so much as a stir. Admittedly I added adjuncts to the primary whilst fermenting.

C&B
TDA

Agree with that.

The first use is always from a big starter - 2L for a 20L batch and then maybe a gentle swirl of the fermenter for the first day or 2. Krausen always seems subdued on 1st pitch.

Repitch needs no help. krausen tries to escape the fermenter.

But then i generally try and keep it around 20-22C, and then step it up to maybe 24 for the last 2-3 days of primary.

I actually got it from butters and he's welcome to post it if he wants. I asked him for a recipe and he put it together based on some thoughts he'd had about TTL type beers.

You're getting your recipes and conversations muddled up, mate. :lol: No TTL inspirations at all in this bitter.....
heres the recipe for any that want it.

TF golden promise, 93.5%
caraaroma 5%
carafa spec t1 1.5%
OG 1044, single infusion 67C

bramling 60min
bramling and styrian 15min, 0.86g/L combined (10g of each in 23L ;) ...scale as required for volume.)
29 IBU

ferment ~20C

oh, and Muckey.....slightly OT....when I looked at your sample the other day and seemed confused about the colour...it's cos I had a brainfart and was thinking of a different recipe, which is meant to be darker. Yours is exactly as it should be. :rolleyes:

I actually got it from butters and he's welcome to post it if he wants. I asked him for a recipe and he put it together based on some thoughts he'd had about TTL type beers.
and seeing as he is likely to drink most of it... :lol:

and seeing as he is likely to drink most of it... :lol:

It's the butters cult - brainwash people to brew for him so he has a steady supply of beer

@butters noted re colour and conversations :icon_cheers:

edit spellingk fart

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have had problems with it looking finished at a gravity like 1.010 or whatever and then deciding to kick off again in the bottle. Spritzy mild ales are not my thing... It pays to make sure that Ringwood has finished its job completely.

Bump, after a search...

I have had the same issue as this twice recently, the only 2 times I've used 1187. The last was a robust porter that went from 1052 to 1014 a week. After 2 weeks in the fermenter and constant readings I bottled. It must have kicked off again in the bottle as it is overcarbed now despite a moderate bulk prime. I had the same thing with an ESB a few months ago. I didn't aerate for the first 2 days but will do so now.

If my maths are correct 1052 to 1014 is 73% attenuation. It seems the above comments about up to 80% attenuation might be correct...

Bump, after a search...

I have had the same issue as this twice recently, the only 2 times I've used 1187. The last was a robust porter that went from 1052 to 1014 a week. After 2 weeks in the fermenter and constant readings I bottled. It must have kicked off again in the bottle as it is overcarbed now despite a moderate bulk prime. I had the same thing with an ESB a few months ago. I didn't aerate for the first 2 days but will do so now.

If my maths are correct 1052 to 1014 is 73% attenuation. It seems the above comments about up to 80% attenuation might be correct...

I'm a big fan of Ringwood but, as pointed out, it can hang on and on and on if you don't give it a good rousing early on in the piece. Last August I had a brew day, and there was a stout on Ringwood that had been in primary for about 10 days. It was just sitting there in the Brewhouse at ambient (around 20 degrees) and every minute or so it would go 'bloop' The attendees cottoned on to this and whenever it went bloop the guys would chant "bloop". Simple things..... :lol: :lol:

Since then, with Ringwood, being a Yorkshire Yeast, I always treat it as being a stone square type yeast and thrash, aerate and rouse it twice a day for the first two or three days to emulate the Yorkshire square pumping and rousing system. Works a treat.

edit: looked back and realised that brew day was in August. time flies :p

I'm a big fan of Ringwood but, as pointed out, it can hang on and on and on if you don't give it a good rousing early on in the piece. Last August I had a brew day, and there was a stout on Ringwood that had been in primary for about 10 days. It was just sitting there in the Brewhouse at ambient (around 20 degrees) and every minute or so it would go 'bloop' The attendees cottoned on to this and whenever it went bloop the guys would chant "bloop". Simple things..... :lol: :lol:

Since then, with Ringwood, being a Yorkshire Yeast, I always treat it as being a stone square type yeast and thrash, aerate and rouse it twice a day for the first two or three days to emulate the Yorkshire square pumping and rousing system. Works a treat.

edit: looked back and realised that brew day was in August. time flies :p

The new squares at Black Sheep Brewery, Masham are round now.
DSC02868a.jpg
DSC02869a.jpg
DSC02870a.jpg
DSC02871a.jpg

Meh
can't beat the old method

Stone_square.JPG

You just knew I was going to post that one more time didn't you :icon_chickcheers:

The new squares at Black Sheep Brewery, Masham are round now.

So you have done the Black Sheep Brewery tour also.
Did they have you at the top of the Brewery and turn out the lights and then
release the wort into the hopback??? Amazing aroma of hot wort and hops!!!!

edited to add:

At Black Sheep they pump the wort back to the top of the fermentor much like a herms system.

The wort splashes back into the fermentor. This occurs for 15 minutes every 6 hours for the first
36 hours after the yeast is pitched.

Regards

Graeme

When you guys are pitching a fresh wort onto the yeast cake, are you washing it prior or is it a case of just dumping it in there. I'm thinking of a TTL inspired bitter then using the yeast cake on a 1.067 Oatmeal Stout.

When you guys are pitching a fresh wort onto the yeast cake, are you washing it prior or is it a case of just dumping it in there. I'm thinking of a TTL inspired bitter then using the yeast cake on a 1.067 Oatmeal Stout.
No, I don't wash fermenter slurry before use in subsequent batches, just discard all but about 1/3 of it- that's generally leaving less than 1L and pitch the new wort straight on to it. Usually fermentation is obvious overnight, sometimes within hours.
Its a really easy way to get maximum value out of a pack of yeast, be it dried or liquid. I'll generally do four or five batches on the one strain like this, so one after another and no farting around with starters while saving say $5- $10 per batch, plus the actual pitching is over and done with in seconds.
Hope that helps! :icon_cheers:

I donthe same as Rdevjun. Just take about 1/2 a cupmof slurry for ales 1 cup for lagers and pitch it directly into the next batch. Don't like the idea of pitching on to a while yeast cake. IMO massive overpitch and won't get the characteristics out of pitching the correct amount.

I have used the ringwood in an APA, it was awesome. I also pitch striaght onto my yeast cake, if I have a wort ready. Other wise I put it in a couple of pet bottles and pitch that when ready.

Latest posts

Back