Ringwood Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rude

Reaction score
Just getting a ringwood ale smack pack ready, making a 1 litre starter (the pack is a year old).
Anyway the pack has puffed up after 3-4 days no worries so will be using it on a dark mild 3.3%
So I am wondering what to put down on the yeast cake next ?
Wyeast recomend American ipa,oatmeal stout, english brown.
Any suggestions would be welcomed with recipes Im doing AG
Thanks from Rude

I would suggest any variation of an English bitter or brown after your mild, and then go again with a hoppy beer, maybe a Texas brown or UK IPA.

I absolutely love this yeast, and I try to use a mild as a large starter for a more subtantial beer. You get great esters in your mild, even if you underpitch etc ( :ph34r:) just give it nutrients and sanitary aeration - and then you get a great batch of strong ale.

Ringwood? Crackin' stuff!

Yorkshire born yeast, 150 years old mix of strains, has a high oxygen demand at the beginning of fermentation. It's very forgiving temperature-wise, but the ester production at higher temperatures can overwhelm. It can be open fermented (it forms a crusty 'lid' of foam and blows a lot of Carbon Dioxide). It does throw varying degrees of diacetyl, which might be of benefit in ESB's - but if you remove all of it from British-style ales you're removing a very important component from the beer. It's like taking the clove and banana phenols away from hefeweizen or the funk from lambics.

You might even taste oranges...

G'day Rude

I use Ringwood more than any other yeast.

So far i have used it in dark milds, bitters, IPAs, porters, stouts and will be using it shortly in a low OG american amber ale.

Cheers
DrSmurto

We are talking 1187, yes?

They used to call this 'Swedish Porter' - so there's another style!

DO NOT LET IT GO COLD

Mine dropped to 15 degrees overnight at 1020, when i rouse the yeast by spinning the fermenter back and forth you can watch the yeast rise into soloution, the just as quickly it drops back down. The heater and cosntant spinning has it down to 1016 now though, don't think it will go much lower, what's the general attenuation for ringwood?

English styles, esp. bitters.

If you want to try something a little different, brew an American IPA, but use Ringwood.

I don't post much, but as soon as Ringwood pops up I'm all over it like a forum whore.

Cheers

+1 about the oxygen. I rouse mine twice a day for the first two days with one of these.

aerator.JPG

I pitched a mild ale with yeast cake off a Landlord last Wednesday and it's ready to bottle tomorrow. Next cab off the rank with some of the yeastcake off the mild is a FWK IPA from St Peters brewery that I've had hanging around for 2 months. Now my comp brews are finished for the year, time to get into some more offbeat stuff again :beerbang:

Dr S,

How did the IPA turn out?

I have planned a double batch of IPA, to be split with 2 different yeasts. I'd pencilled out 1187, thinking the esters would be overwhelming in a high gravity beer?

Cheers
Stubbie

DO NOT LET IT GO COLD

Mine dropped to 15 degrees overnight at 1020, when i rouse the yeast by spinning the fermenter back and forth you can watch the yeast rise into soloution, the just as quickly it drops back down. The heater and cosntant spinning has it down to 1016 now though, don't think it will go much lower, what's the general attenuation for ringwood?

Attenuation 68-72% from Wyeast.

Yeah, don't let it drop out, it doesn't seem to start up again to easily. It isn't the easiest yeast to work with, but the effort is worth it.

Dr S,

How did the IPA turn out?

I have planned a double batch of IPA, to be split with 2 different yeasts. I'd pencilled out 1187, thinking the esters would be overwhelming in a high gravity beer?

Cheers
Stubbie

For the IPA i kept the ferment temp down around 18C rather than pushing it at 20-22 like i do for milds and bitters. I also mashed at 65C instead of 67C.

Although i do prefer a higher attenuating yeast in an IPA - west yorkshire (1469) and cask ale (1026).

You's have just talked me into it, I just preordered some. :chug:

Thanks Doc.

Although i do prefer a higher attenuating yeast in an IPA - west yorkshire (1469) and cask ale (1026).
Zaccly what I had in mind; 1469 is on hand and I've been toying with ordering the Pro Culture Cask Ale (supposedly 1026).

Cheers
Stubbie

ringwood and the yorkie are both great yeasts, love 'em both.

Have to say though 1469 is a little easier to handle. Ringwood needs to be roused a la Bribie for a well attenuated finish whereas the yorkie needs to be beaten back into the fermenter if you try the same thing

glad I posted will stir with a holy spoon brieby for the first few days
thanks for all the tips it smelt nice out of the smack pack
will try a IPA with it after the mild
The rudest one

Attenuation 68-72% from Wyeast.
I fully support Bribie's recommendation to beat the crap out of this. I used Ringwood (first time) on my last AG, firstly started it in a 1.5L solution of DME and thence beat twice daily for first 2 days after pitching. Kept the beer on a heat pad, with the temp master set to 18 deg.

After 2 weeks, i got from 1060 to 1012 - attenuation of 80% if I can add up.

Slightly off topic.....
But maybe high attentuation is because I added 3 drops of olive oil to my starter when I first opened smack pack, and 3 drops just before I pitched. I do this with every brew now, never had a stuck fermentation, nor finished higher than expected - I always get expected, or lower fermentation copmpared to beersmith. There has been a lot of posts lately about stuck fermentation, a couple of drops of oil can't hurt so give it a go.

attenuation of 80% if I can add up.
+1

a Bitter 1.041 down to 1.008, and then on 1/2 the yeast cake, a Stout 1.053 down to 1.010 :blink:

Stubbie

A question for the rousers and beaters:

So if you don't reoxygenate ringwood with a few rousings and beatings at the start of the ferment, do you find the yeast just quits before target FG has been reached?

I remember I brewed with landlord a few years ago and the ferment just completely died in the arse around 3/4ths of the way through.

+1

a Bitter 1.041 down to 1.008, and then on 1/2 the yeast cake, a Stout 1.053 down to 1.010 :blink:

Stubbie

Thats far from 1060>12, that yeast does not attenuate that far, open for correction. 41>08 tick the box 53>10 hmmmm 60>12 ???

Latest posts

Back