rims heating stick or element ...help please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micbrew

Reaction score
wanting to know if any one is using a rims heat stick ... into 70 ltre pot ..and what are pros and cons
or should I go with an element similar TO the keg king 2200V element
Heard they were a bit dodgy

The keg king elements have been modified recently. I have one of the new ones and haven't had any dramas with it. Been going strong for about 9 months now. A few other folks have said they haven't had any problems with the new ones either.

Can't speak for anyone else, but if you don't have the know how to wire up your own I reckon they represent pretty good value for money.

JD.

I've had one of the latest KK models for around 12 brews now and been going swimmingly.

The lazy man in me came out when I originally decided to wire up my own element but just grabbed a KK one instead with an order I placed for some other equipment.

so anybody running the rims heat stick !!
they have it on display in the shop
thought it looked pretty cool and very neat but at $249 a tad exxy

they are out of stock of elements , but getting some in this Friday /Monday

I'd be saying hold off on buying a $249 element...

You might as well buy a braumeister if you're spending that much on an element :lol:

EDIT: if it is actually a RIMS tube with element setup, you wouldn't be using that on a HLT. They're a separate bit o' kit altogether and used for RIMS brewing (unless of course you used a pump to circulate your HLT water through the RIMS tube, but that would be pretty inefficient, comparatively speaking). You just need yourself a decent water heating element if you've got a 70L pot for a HLT and just looking to install an element in it.

yeah its a big pot .. so was thinking it would be easier to heat a smaller volume of liquid and yes , I will be using a pump
other wise its 2 x elements I suppose

IMHO RIMS sucks dog balls. HERMS for the WIN. But to clarify are you wanting a RIMS or a boil element?

If it is just for a HLT then one element will get you to strike and sparge temps. Whack a lid on and you'll be sweet. If you want it to boil then you'd need two.

ok im new to this capper and I have assembled a few bits n bobs

I have
1 x 70 litre ss pot
1 x esky
1 x keg (borrowed )
1x pump

some ball valves and silicone hose
I don't have much room for the rig and would like an easy brewday , ive seen all these pid controllers and im a little confused as to the best way to control the element

thanks for you're help with any ideas welcome

What are you trying to achieve. Do you want a RIMS system, or do you want to set up a basic AG system?

I was hoping to brew 40 or so litres in one hit .... and yeah AG system
as I already have a grain mill as well

If you wanted a fairly simple setup, and were only going to do single batches, I'd look at getting an over-the-side element.

It means you can share it between your HLT and kettle to get yourself up and running for ~$100 and no wiring/drilling/etc. You can wrap your HLT and MT in an esky/blanket and you've got yourself some ghetto insulation as well.

You'll need more than 2.4kW for double batches - but that also requires having extra power available in your brewing area.

Just a suggestion if you wanted to get brewing ASAP and can make small upgrades in the future.

EDIT: Just saw your post. As stated, you'll probably want at least 3.6kW for double batches and would make my above suggestion redundant. Do you have an element/gas burner for your kettle already and just looking to upgrade your HLT?

cheapest and simplest upfront would be a burner for your 70l kettle and then the Over The Side element for strike water in the keg, use the esky for mash and check temp periodically, the advantage of the OTS is you can adjust your mash temps and ramp to mash out with it.
my 2c

Latest posts

Back