Ride On Mowers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel

Reaction score
G'day all.

It's time to retire the 1978 model Ariens (I know, things don't seem to last these days, do they? hehe)

Recommendations?

From reading a few forums, it seem that Greenfields receive the fewest complaints.

I'm going out to look at a few brands this week, so any reviews would be welcome.

Cheers
Colonel

Malted would be the guy to ask. I have it on good authority that he's an expert on grass / grass growing. I'm sure he'd wecome a PM.

Just got an MTD Yardman 14.5hp 38 inch deck. Couldn't be happier with it. Wished is got a trailer too.

There are a few makes that are good... Rover, Cox, Greenfield and John deer

I currently have an older Rover Rancher with 16hp B&S single. Parts for these are still readly available. I have recently rebuit it and parts where reasonaby cheap and its bullet proof. I bought it 2nd hand from a dealer 8yrs ago and it has cut some pretty awfull grass/scrub with much prob.

Cox have an excellent rep for quality and reliabillty,They are a bit more $$ but are aussie made and solid

Greenfield are built like tanks. Ugly but tuff as nails. prob the pick

John deer are great, but parts are dearer than the other 3

The rest, like Husqvuana, Viking, Toro etc dont hold up to aussie conditions in the long run

The thing I have found with Aust built mowers is they use parts that are commonly available, Lke bearings, nuts & bolts, drive bets etc

It really depends on what you are cutting and how much.

From reading a few forums, it seem that Greenfields receive the fewest complaints.

An rightly so. I bought mine with the house over a year ago off the previous owner. Dunno how many hours are on it - never looked - but it's plenty.
I've got nearly an acre of lawn to mow and that meant at least every other week last summer. It's never missed a beat after I replaced that stupid censor in the bottom of the carby float bowl (supposed to stop it backfiring when shut down) with a bolt anyway.

Greenfields might not be as flash as the competition, but they're tough as nails, easy to service and get spares for. You can run either four blades or two on the cutter, surprisingly though it cuts better with two. I've ridden roughshod over all manner of goodies hiding in the long grass from large sticks, river stones, the Telstra junction box that was sitting a little proud of the lawn (its not any more..) and a blacksnake who's number was up.

I pimped mine out by gluing a stubbie holder beside the seat.
This sees me starting and stopping quite frequently however, so plans for a bracket capable of accepting a six pack esky are currently be hatched.

Latest posts

Back