Adding sugar to fermentation (if required)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave D

Reaction score
Hi All, new member here and a novice brewer. On to my second batch now. The first batch isn’t great but Is drinkable. Might have been because of high temps a few weeks ago. This week seems more ideal as inside the house is at approx 22 deg. I am keeping things quite standard so my current batch is coopers pale with enhancer no.2. OG was at 1.035 and has been fermenting for about 2 days now and is already at about 1.013.
just wondering if this seems a bit too quick and should I be expecting things to progress as it has already? Also... has anyone had any experience with adding sugar to a Primary fermentation a few days after pitching yeast? I have read that people have done it but I am confused with how you add it and how does that change the specific gravity reading if I have already recorded 1.013. Does it go up and I have to calculate the difference? I am not disappointed with the current progress but I also don’t want to end up with a batch of 3% ABV beers. Any words would be appreciated. Cheers Dave

Back