Reverse Yeast Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblythongs

Reaction score
I'm new to Ag and am learning new stuff all the time. In my experimenting with things I have found if you pull yeast straight off the wort with some unfermented new beer into a flask on a stir plate 1- 2 hours latter the trub floats to the surface making it a faster way to clean and re-use.

Is there any benefit from this or will old trub make no difference into a new batch of beer.

Here is a pic the right side was from sterilized water washed into the fermenter to get all of the yeast out and has sat for 1 day.
The pic of the Erlenmeyer flask is 1 1/2 hours old new unfermented beer added and about 3 tablespoons of trub already removed.

the right side was from sterilized water washed into the fermenter to get all of the yeast out and has sat for 1 day.

The pic of the Erlenmeyer flask is 1 1/2 hours old new unfermented beer added and about 3 tablespoons of trub already removed.

:blink: little confused on a few points. is that a whole fermenter worth? there will be a whole lot of dead stuff in that if it's "the lot" simply washed into another vessel. The dead yeast and rubbish needs to be seperated and can be done, and sorry if you have done this, but that looks to be ALOT of material, swirl to suspend all the yeast, make sure the clumps have broken up then allow to sit for 15 min , all the crap should go to the bottom, the top layer should clear, the middle should be cloudy, discard the top section, keep the middle and discard th bottom.

Not quite sure I follow with the second part of what you are saying/asking..??

What your saying is right as per the pic of the right hand side flask and left with all the crap/trub on the bottom.

The stir plate shows fresh beer at 1050 sg fermenting after 2 hours forcing all the crap/trub to the surface instead of the bottom.

Thus this is giving a better yeast population for my next run which I hope to pitch this in an hour or so and all so removing most of all of the tub crap that was mixed in it hours ago.

I made the beer on Tuesday with a no chill method and stored it into a 25 liter cube. My last batch has just fermented out so I want to larger that. I have just drawn off 1 liter of my new un fermented beer and added it to the last batch of yeast hours ago.

The other yeast on the right hand side I larger the beer yesterday but only added water to wash out the yeast and let it sit dormant as you see it with crap below it.

Latest posts

Back