Reverse Osmosis Unit Bulk Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
timmy said:
I just got this one off ebay for $10! linkety link

Will be interesting to see how it goes. If it's a dud it only cost a few bucks.
[post="99922"][/post]​

good score, princesspinkbaby :) ...
[post="99927"][/post]​

Yes that is my wife's account. Honest!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

timmy said:
Ross said:
timmy said:
I just got this one off ebay for $10! linkety link

Will be interesting to see how it goes. If it's a dud it only cost a few bucks.
[post="99922"][/post]​

good score, princesspinkbaby ...
[post="99927"][/post]​

Yes that is my wife's account. Honest!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:
[post="99933"][/post]​

Sorry timmy (princesspinkbaby :huh: :blink: )
Damage has been done I am afraid !

Batz :lol:

:beer:
Gooday everyone
I installed a RO unit which I bought from Len at pure rain in June 05. I use this unit for all my brewing needs and it supplies drinking water in place of Palm Springs water.
Long term it will pay for itself however it needs to be serviced every 6 months @ a cost of $90.00. The water it supplies is far superior to bottled water currently available. It takes 6 hours to supply 80 ltrs. The unit cost approx $400.00 there are smaller units available but they take considerably longer to process the same amount of water. The smaller units would need to be serviced more frequently I would reccomend Talking to Len at Pure Rain he definitely knows his filters. No affiliation except as a very satisfied customer.
Cheers Altstart

Also note, that they need a fair bit of pressure to work - If you are on tank water like myself, you might not have the necessary pressure - i haven't :(
Personally, being on rain water, I'm more interested in fitting an ultra violet steriliser - as even the RO unit won't remove infectous nasties...

cheers Ross

So reading the ebay posting from Timmy's (princess') link.

The reverse osmosis filter removes chlorine and fluoride, reduces heavy metals, dissolved solids and large organic compounds including pesticides, nitrates and bacteria.

The activated carbon unit removes chlorine and other organic chemicals, eliminates bad taste and odour.

The sediment fabric filter removes large particles.

Why not save yourself and just use a 2 stage cartridge filter, as the pre and post filters 'seem' to do the same job as the osmo membrane???

I not right up to speed with the osmosis thingys... just curious

Ross said:
Personally, being on rain water, I'm more interested in fitting an ultra violet steriliser - as even the RO unit won't remove infectous nasties...

cheers Ross
[post="99961"][/post]​

Wont the boil take care of that for you Ross?

I suppose in the house drinking water it might be good

RO removes all the major ions - calcium, sodium, magnesium, chloride, sulphate, bicarbonate, nitrate giving you a very low salt content to start adding to.

Linz said:
Ross said:

cheers Ross
[post="99961"][/post]​

Wont the boil take care of that for you Ross?

I suppose in the house drinking water it might be good
[post="99965"][/post]​

You hit it on the head Linz - I like rainwater for my brewing (very happy with results so far) & don't really want to strip anything more out of it - but for drinking I'd be happier knowing that I had no worries from bat droppings etc, leaving something nasty in my water...

Edit: Sorry Batz, if this has gone off subject a tad...

altstart said:
Gooday everyone
I installed a RO unit which I bought from Len at pure rain in June 05. I use this unit for all my brewing needs and it supplies drinking water in place of Palm Springs water.
Long term it will pay for itself however it needs to be serviced every 6 months @ a cost of $90.00. The water it supplies is far superior to bottled water currently available. It takes 6 hours to supply 80 ltrs. The unit cost approx $400.00 there are smaller units available but they take considerably longer to process the same amount of water. The smaller units would need to be serviced more frequently I would reccomend Talking to Len at Pure Rain he definitely knows his filters. No affiliation except as a very satisfied customer.
Cheers Altstart
[post="99957"][/post]​

G'day Altstart
By service do you mean change out the filters?
Seems a tad expensive.

Batz droppings on your roof Ross , don't remember being up there :lol:

Cheers Batz

Just picked up my $10 baby!

set it to work. Interesting thing to note is that the waste water output is nearly double that of the clean water.

Out of curiosity i had a taste from each. the treated water tasted pretty crisp and clean, the waste had almost a powdery texture to it and a definite chlorine taste.

The unit was last serviced about 6 mths ago then laid up in storage, and going from the service sticker it was done just down the road here.

I might get a starter ready to do a pilsand see how the softer water goes.

G'day Altstart
By service do you mean change out the filters?
Seems a tad expensive.

Gooday Batz
No its a full on service which includes 2 new filters but they also flush the membrane and test with a meter which reads solids as in parts per million. I understand that depending on use at some stage the membrane will need to be replaced. In my situation I was buying 6 to 9 bottles of water @ $11.00 per bottle per month. Now I do not buy water and as a bonus I have pure water to brew with. In the past I have lived with Tank water and when we moved into a town situation I very much regretted the loss of Tank water.For me it is an excellent investment.
Cheers Altstart

FOr those interested, I came across one of those RO water machines at a petrol station at The Gap.... $4 for 20 litres of cold RO water. If anyone is keen on an RO unit, maybe worth doing a couple of brews from this type of water to see if you are happy with the result.

Further to Ross's comments, RO will remove all the "nasties" from the water, including viruses and bacteria - but if your water is already clear (rainwater) then UV will also kill the nasties, and will leave any available minerals in your water,

dreamboat

The membrane is fine enough to remove something as small as a sodium ion, so something as comparitively large as a virus has no show.
Still no guarantee that anything downstream from the RO will be free from bugs though....

dreamboat

Latest posts

Back