Reusing US-05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Screwy,

FWIW, maybe check posts 79 & 80.

Your argument seems pretty strong, & as a newbie i'd happily defer to both those facts & your experience as a brewer.
However, as a newbie, i was keen to practice on something that is cheap & easily replaced if anything goes pear-shaped, and hopefully was somewhat robust (could be wrong there given the data you presented).

TBH, i might've practiced on whatever was in the fermenter at the time when i finally decided to give this yeast rinsing thing a crack. It just happened to be BRY-97. Admittedly, now that i've done it wish i had've made the move to rinsing a few months earlier to re-use the Kolsch yeast from the first batch i did using a liquid yeast.

On the other hand, a major reason i decided to give it a crack was precisely because, as mentioned, it was a cheap robust yeast; and that gave me enough confidence to take the plunge on the spur of the moment.

A few minor mistakes and patches of confusion later & i now have my first re-used yeast finishing up a fermentation, and i'm doing the last stages of rinsing on the rest of the BRY-97 i saved. :super:
More importantly, i think i have a better idea of what the hell i'm doing, so the WLP-351 i have sitting in the fridge is likely to get a much smoother run with its starter (will be my first) and its subsequent re-use.

Oh and now i've done it once - like so much of what i've done in brewing so far - i just kinda think - damn, that's all it is? ... just pour some gunk into jars, fill with water, swish around a bit every now and then, pour into other jars, etc, and that's it. Piece of cake!! B) However i still remember 2 weeks ago, reading & re-reading a few threads wondering WTF, and have i got this sequence right, etc? :blink:

my 2c

Cheers :icon_cheers:

For me, it's all about practice. I'm going to start using liquid yeast very soon probably in my next batch, or the one after that, and want to get the collection/washing/starter process sorted on a cheap yeast before jumping into liquid.

Like techno, it's helped demystify the whole thing. Just reading about it didn't really click until I tried it. Now by experimenting with us-05 first, I'm pretty confident I can wash and reuse 1469 without any major fuckups. :) ...fingers crossed.

In all fairness Screwy, the OP did state the reasons for reusing us-05 in his first post and mentioned several more times by others.
It may not be a good practice but its good practice.

Some of us are tight arses Screwy, or at least think we are.

If we can save $5 on reusing a dried yeast we think were winning, but do we think about the cost of running kegerators, fermenting fridges, lagering fridges and so on, Naaaaaah, wouldnt cost that much :p

Have to disagree with Screwy for the same reasons mentioned above and also from my recent experience with a 3rd generation US05 made in a starter pitched correctly, it was a standout fermentation, finished quick, flocced great and is currently cold conditioning as the clearest beer I have made thus far. So there are performance benefits in reusing just like with liquid yeast.

shaunous said:
Some of us are tight arses Screwy, or at least think we are.

If we can save $5 on reusing a dried yeast we think were winning, but do we think about the cost of running kegerators, fermenting fridges, lagering fridges and so on, Naaaaaah, wouldnt cost that much :p
I've got a killawatt linked up to my brewing fridge now, so far this month it's costed me about $7 to run it.

It's a non-negotiable cost opposed to yeast, I just make sure that I have a few brews lined up in a row that will be OK using the same yeast and I don't even have to worry about storage or much fussing about.

My average cost is about $25-30 for a 25 litre brew... So knocking $5 off is a substantial impact for minimal risk and effort.

Well I've just cracked a taster from this little experiment and I'm actually quite pleased with the result. Used a kit beer so wouldn't be too upset if it went tits up, but it's good, still young but good.

2nd time around this yeast is sticking like glue to the bottom of the bottle, didn't even need to decant it, just poured straight into the glass...twice.

Really confident now about my first foray into liquid yeast, bring on the 1469 :)

I'm on my 3rd use of us05 and it seems to be brewing great. I have re-used used this yeast not to be a tight arse but because the fact is I work shitty hours and don't get many chances to get to a brew shop. The one day I have off (Sunday,) they are all closed. So I figure re using yeast is better then not brewing at all.

I see reusing yeast as part of the "craft". It's another variable that you can play with.

I wonder if all of those Professional Brewers who use US-05, and reuse it are ruining their beer?

i don't know why people have felt the need to justify why they re-use it. i reckon it's great. keep at it if it's working for you! :)

Latest posts

Back