Reusing bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Reaction score
Hi just after some advice just got my first brew on the go and wanted to know can you reuse twisr top bottles or do you need to use the ones that have a bottle opener?

Cannot use twist off. Cappers don't cap them correctly.

You can buy brown PET bottle fairly inexpensive. They work well and last. Coopers makes good ones.

Even one liter clear tonic water and club soda bottles are a good choice. You just have to keep them out of the light. If you do have a cap fail on one of these and you're cheap, like I am, you can buy caps.

Give them a try.

I've been using the same carlton stubbies and big bottles for years. The only trouble I had was some dodgy crap caps from a company that rhymes with "bigger toe". The supa-automatica capper never misses to seal the caps well. I also find that uniformity in bottle type helps in storage and processing. 24 carlton stubbies fit nicely in 32lt plastic storage boxes and I put big bottles in 6er wine boxes. Beware shit cheap dodgy caps. My favorite remains the coopers big bottle. Never warmed to pet, I don't think it gives beer the respect it deserves.

I've been using the same carlton stubbies and big bottles for years. The only trouble I had was some dodgy crap caps from a company that rhymes with "bigger toe". The supa-automatica capper never misses to seal the caps well. I also find that uniformity in bottle type helps in storage and processing. 24 carlton stubbies fit nicely in 32lt plastic storage boxes and I put big bottles in 6er wine boxes. Beware shit cheap dodgy caps. My favorite remains the coopers big bottle. Never warmed to pet, I don't think it gives beer the respect it deserves.

That was what I was thinking beer outta plastic cups isn't so good. I'll see what works best.

Coopers PET Plastics are great for beginner & intermediate brewing but I found that they lost their fizz after awhile so switched to glass for beers which I wanted to keep for more than 9 months.

I love these bottles over Summer. I do not have any bottle bombs if the temps get up there. Add beer and squeeze out the air, good for 2 months as my beers dont last long after lagering.

According to Coopers they are good for 18 months, the same as single use glass, they go to great pains to explain the differences between their glass bottles and single use glass/PET. I like the convenience of grabbing a couple or three when I end up with more than a kegs worth of beer in the fermenter, not as silly as it sounds when you have 4 different sized kegs, 4 different sized fermenters and the organisational ability of a dyslexic gnat, time to keg that 25ltr batch, damn all the 23's are in use, no worries grab a 19ltr and a handfull of PET's, agree with Vini on the big stuff though, champagne bottles with tirage caps, stick em under the house and forget about them.

According to Coopers they are good for 18 months, the same as single use glass

Never thought about that. Just dusted off my brewing kit after 10 year hiatus due to COVID. Some of my brown PET bottles have expanded due to previous pressure issues. Will probably end up chucking them out.

Just to be clear, 18 months is the life of the beer not the bottle, it's due to oxygen getting in, your bottles should be fine to refill, although at a buck each and free postage why take the chance. Welcome back btw, this covid thing has brought an absolute shitload of former brewers out of the woodwork.

Latest posts

Back